Help with solving two unknowns simultaneously? (physics)

In summary, the conversation is about a mountain climber who weighs 566 N and is suspended between two cliffs by a rope. The tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same due to the climber's position. Using the equations of equilibrium, the tensions can be found by solving for TL and TR. With the given angles and weight, TL is calculated to be 1075 N and TR is 985.6 N. The problem is solved by factoring TL, moving the weight to the other side, and dividing by the coefficient of TL.
ilovecarter
A mountain climber, in the process of crossing between two cliffs by a rope, pauses to rest. She weighs 566 N. As the drawing shows, she is closer to the left cliff than to the right cliff, with the result that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Find the tensions in the rope to the left and to the right of the mountain climber. (From the figure α = 65.5° and β = 83.0°.)
Equations:
EFx= 0 since she is at equilibrium
EFy= 0 since she is at equilibrium

I got up to the part where
EFx= Tr Sin 83 -TL Sin 65.5 = 0 and I get Tr = TL Sin 65.5/ Sin 83
EFy = Tr cos 83 + TL cos 65.5 - W = 0

now when you put the two together we get

( TL sin 65.5/ sin 83 ) cos 83 + TL cos 65.5 - w = 0

this is the part where I'm stuck. I don't how they solved for the TL and w together. Do you? Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know w - it is 566.
The angles are with respect to the vertical, right?

Factor TL out of the two terms, move w to the other side and put in its number. Divide both sides by whatever TL is multiplied by.

OH! I see now... Thank you very much!

I got
TL = 1075 N
TR= 985.6

in case anyone also needs help with this.

Most welcome!

Related to Help with solving two unknowns simultaneously? (physics)

1. How do I solve for two unknowns in a physics problem?

Solving for two unknowns simultaneously in a physics problem requires the use of two equations with two unknown variables. The equations can be solved using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

2. What information do I need to have in order to solve for two unknowns?

In order to solve for two unknowns in a physics problem, you will need to have two equations with two unknown variables. Additionally, you will need to have values for at least two known variables in the equations.

3. Can I solve for two unknowns without using equations?

No, in order to solve for two unknowns simultaneously in a physics problem, you will need to use equations. These equations can be derived from physical principles or laws, and they provide a mathematical representation of the problem.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when solving for two unknowns?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when solving for two unknowns simultaneously in a physics problem. These steps include identifying the known and unknown variables, writing out the equations, solving the equations using algebraic methods, and checking the solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. What should I do if I cannot solve for two unknowns in a physics problem?

If you are unable to solve for two unknowns in a physics problem, try using different methods such as graphing, using a calculator, or seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure you have correctly written and solved the equations.