Help with Stoich limiting reactant Lab

• Thread starter drkoverlord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about a Stoich limiting reactant lab and finding the mass of the excess reactant. The equation used in the lab is BaCl2.2H20 + Na2So4 --> BaSO4 + 2NaCL and the data calculated includes moles and masses of each reactant. The mass of the entire salt mixture is also given. The limiting reactant is determined to be SO4 and the excess is Ba. The question is how to calculate the initial amounts of the reactants.
drkoverlord
Help with Stoich limiting reactant Lab urgent!

1. I need to find the mass of the excess reactant. This was a lab i did. so its BaCl2.2H20 + Na2So4 --> BaSO4 + 2NaCL. The data i have calculated thus far is.

moles of BaSO4=0.0019 mol
moles of BaCl2=0.0019 mol
moles of Na2SO4=0.0019 mol

mass of BaSo4=.4524g
mass of BaCl2=.4641g
mass of Na2So4= .2698g

Mass of entire salt mixture=1.0038g

The limiting reactant is SO4 and excess is Ba.

BaSo4 is the precipitate.

How do i get the excess reactant!

Physics news on Phys.org

What are the initial amounts of the reactants? I don't quite understand what the numbers you gave are for.

As Bohrok wrote - you have failed to explain what the question is. What the lab, what you did, what are these numbers. We are not mind readers.

It may came usefull, but we are not.

--
methods

Related to Help with Stoich limiting reactant Lab

1. What is a limiting reactant?

A limiting reactant is the reactant in a chemical reaction that gets completely consumed or used up, thereby limiting the amount of products that can be formed. This reactant determines the amount of product that can be produced in a reaction.

2. How do I determine the limiting reactant?

To determine the limiting reactant, you need to compare the mole ratios of the reactants in the balanced chemical equation. The reactant with the smaller mole ratio is the limiting reactant. Alternatively, you can also calculate the amount of product that can be formed using each reactant and the reactant that produces the smaller amount of product is the limiting reactant.

3. What is the purpose of the Stoichiometry limiting reactant lab?

The purpose of the Stoichiometry limiting reactant lab is to demonstrate the concept of limiting reactant in a chemical reaction and how it affects the amount of product that can be formed. This lab also helps to reinforce the principles of stoichiometry and mole ratios in chemical reactions.

4. How do I calculate the amount of excess reactant in a reaction?

To calculate the amount of excess reactant, you first need to determine the limiting reactant. Then, using the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation, you can calculate the amount of product that should be formed using the limiting reactant. The difference between the actual amount of product formed and the calculated amount is the amount of excess reactant.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the Stoichiometry limiting reactant lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include incomplete reactions, measuring errors, and the presence of impurities in the reactants. Another source of error could be the assumption that the reaction goes to completion, which may not always be the case in a real-world scenario.