Help with text book mathematical notation

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's struggle with understanding mathematics, particularly in their third attempt at a calculus course. They express a desire to find resources that can help them with difficult concepts and also to re-learn math from the ground up. Khan Academy and Wikipedia are suggested as helpful sources, and the importance of studying from different sources is mentioned. The conversation concludes with a reminder to not ask overly philosophical questions when trying to understand a concept.
jaredogden
Okay so let's say (hypothetically of course) I am on my third attempt at the final Calc course in the series at my college.

I feel like my foundation of even simple mathematics and arithmetic is unstable to say the least for me. I enjoy the concepts of math and what it could be used for but many times I find myself with an incredible headache trying to figure out things such as notation used in textbooks and proofs of certain concepts that fly over my head like satellites. Are there any good resources out there to help me first of all figure out the last few concepts of multivariable calculus like line integrals and flux? Also after I finish this course I would like to try and use the time I have off to almost re-learn most of the math I have learned up until now. By re-learn I mean grab hold of every concept and understand how it works like why the heck we use pi to calculate area, circumfrence, and volume of circles, spheres, cylinders, and the like. So I guess that would be also be the theory of math..

So I said all that to say this. If there are any good resources out there like khanacademy that could help with this please post. Thanks ahead of time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Khan academy is good. So is Wikipedia for most things. Often it helps to study the same thing from different sources. Sometimes the right combination of words finally comes together and it "clicks".

yeah,i agree with u .

Yea, if you don't unerstand one way look some where else. Also try not to ask questions that are too 'deep' because it can be come too philosophical.

I understand the frustration and difficulty that can come with learning mathematical notation and concepts. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematics before diving into more complex topics like multivariable calculus.

One resource that I highly recommend is Khan Academy. They have a wide range of videos and practice exercises that can help you understand and master concepts in calculus and other areas of math. They also have a section specifically dedicated to multivariable calculus, which covers topics like line integrals and flux.

In addition to online resources, I suggest seeking help from your professors or tutors at your college. They can provide personalized support and guidance to help you understand the concepts that you are struggling with.

In terms of re-learning math concepts, I recommend starting with the basics and building your way up. It may also be helpful to try and apply these concepts in real-life situations to better understand their practical applications.

Overall, don't get discouraged and keep practicing. With determination and the right resources, you can improve your understanding of mathematical notation and concepts. Best of luck in your studies!

What is mathematical notation?

Mathematical notation is a system of symbols and conventions used to represent mathematical ideas, formulas, and equations. It allows for concise and precise communication of mathematical concepts.

Why is it important to understand mathematical notation?

Understanding mathematical notation is crucial for effectively learning and communicating in the field of mathematics. It allows for clear and concise communication of complex mathematical ideas and helps to avoid ambiguity and confusion.

What are some common mathematical symbols used in notation?

Some common mathematical symbols used in notation include the plus sign (+) for addition, the minus sign (-) for subtraction, the multiplication symbol (× or *) for multiplication, the division symbol (÷ or /) for division, and the equals sign (=) for showing equality between two expressions.

How can I improve my understanding of mathematical notation?

One way to improve your understanding of mathematical notation is to practice using it regularly. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, or seek help from a math tutor or instructor. It can also be helpful to break down complex notation into smaller parts and understand the meaning of each symbol.

What should I do if I am struggling with mathematical notation in my textbook?

If you are having trouble understanding mathematical notation in your textbook, it is important to seek help from a teacher or tutor. You can also try breaking down the notation and referencing other resources for clarification. Additionally, practicing with similar problems can help improve your understanding of notation.