Help with this problem from Mastering Physics (Gravitation)

In summary, the mechanical energy decreases when a satellite's radius decreases from r to r - △r. The mass of the satellite is m, and the increase in orbital speed is △v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]; that is, when r decreases the change in kinetic energy is △K = + (GMm/2r^2); and the change in gravitational potential energy is △U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r.
lucphysics

Homework Statement

If a satellite is in a sufficiently low orbit, it will encounter air drag from the Earth's atmosphere. Since air drag does negative work (the force of air drag is directed opposite the motion), the mechanical energy will decrease. If E decreases (becomes more negative), the radius of the orbit will decrease. If air drag is relatively small, the satellite can be considered to be in a circular orbit of continually decreasing radius.
a) According to v = (GM/r)^1/2,if the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases, the satellite’s orbital speed increases. How can you reconcile this with the statement that the mechanical energy decreases?
b) Due to air drag, the radius of a satellite’s circular orbit decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r. The mass of the satellite is m. Show that the increase in orbital speed is △v = +(△r/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2]; that the change in kinetic energy is △K = + (GMm/2r^2); that the change in gravitational potential energy is △U = -2△K= - (GMm/r^2)△r; and that the amount of work done by the force of air drag is W = - (GMm/2r^2)△r.

Homework Equations

U = -GMm/r

K = 1/2mv^2

E = K+U

331278.image0.png

[PLAIN]http://media.wiley.com/Lux/82/331282.image4.png[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think (a) can be solved saying that the mechanic energy will decrease due to the negative work done by the air drag, because doing E = K+U the final mechanic energy is negative. (I'm not sure anyway)
But I'm stuck doing (b) , I don't understand where does △r/2 in the velocity equation come from...I don't know how to solve it...any help would be helpful, thanks to all of you who could help me.PS: this isn't homework, it's just a problem I found to prepare final exams
(Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had calculus? If so, what is the derivative of v with respect to r?

Chet

Likes lucphysics
Yes, I've made the derivative of v respect r, but what I get it's:
v'= - (1/2)•[(GM/sqrt(GM/r^3)]
I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong because that isn't the solution given in the problem statement

lucphysics said:
Rewrite this as v' = -(1/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2], or dv/dr=-(1/2)[(GM/r^3)^1/2].
This derivative is negative, so that if r increases, v decreases. And if r decreases, v increases.

What then is the increase in orbital speed if the radius decreases from r to r - △r, where the positive quantity △r is much less than r?

Last edited:
Likes lucphysics
So, that means that when r decreases the derivative is positive due to the velocity increasement?

lucphysics said:
So, that means that when r decreases the derivative is positive due to the velocity increasement?
I wouldn't formulate it this way.

When r decreases, v increases. That we can deduce from the fact that dv/dr is negative.
Now, you are asked to compute by how much v increases, when r decreases by a (relatively) small positive quantity △r.

You can use the formula that you have derived for dv/dr to give a very good approximation for that increase in orbital speed. That is what you have to do in the first part of b), and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Likes lucphysics
Ok, thank you. I think I understand it now.

lucphysics said:
Yes, I've made the derivative of v respect r, but what I get it's:
I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong because that isn't the solution given in the problem statement
That's because you did the derivative incorrectly. The correct derivative is given in Samy_A's post #4.

Chet

Likes lucphysics

1. How can I calculate the gravitational force between two objects?

To calculate the gravitational force between two objects, you can use the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the difference between gravitational force and gravitational field?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects due to their masses, while gravitational field is the region of space around an object where other objects experience a gravitational force.

3. How does the mass and distance between two objects affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force increases with the increase in mass of the objects and decreases with the increase in distance between them. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can the direction of the gravitational force change?

Yes, the direction of gravitational force can change depending on the relative positions of the two objects. For example, if one object is above the other, the gravitational force will be directed downwards.

5. How is the gravitational force related to other fundamental forces?

Gravitational force is the weakest of the four fundamental forces, which also include strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and electromagnetic force. However, it is the only force that acts over long distances and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth's surface.