Help with ultrasonic transducer assembly

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with building an ultrasonic dog repeller to keep his neighbor's dogs out of his yard. The dogs' owner has threatened retaliation if he complains and he has tried various home remedies without success. He is looking for guidance on how to build a powerful ultrasonic repeller and is willing to make a donation to show his gratitude. Suggestions for components and potential solutions are mentioned, including using a motion sensor connected to a sprinkler valve. The issue of people entering his yard without permission is also brought up.
JCDoherty
Hi, I'm looking for some help. I don't know a thing about electrical engineering except what I've been reading trying to learn about this stuff to solve my problem. I'll tell you for me its like reading something that has been translated into Chinese then to Greek then back to English by a Russian guy.

I'd like to build an ultrasonic dog repeller, I know they are sold all over but those are poorly built or are weak or the frequency is not variable.

The situation: My neighbor across the street has two dogs that have now grown up and she takes them out for a walk twice a day. She let's them roam on retractable leash and do as they please even though our homeowners association has rules against this behavior. She, her husband and close friends are all on the homeowners board. When I politely asked her to keep her dogs out of our yard she went ballistic and finished by telling me if I complained she would make life unbearable (not the word she used) for me. Now every day she walks the dogs over to the edge of our yard and releases those extend a leash, about 25ft and I'm about to have another heart attack over it.

I've tried all the "home" remedies from ammonia, vinegar, citrus, cayenne pepper even mothballs ( I bored holes in the ground and placed them subsurface, I'm not going to hurt any animal, pet or wild.)

Nothing is working so I want to build a powerful ultrasonic repeller that operates on a variable high frequency that starts above 19khz or 20khz so it is inaudible to the neighborhood yet will force the dogs down or up the road instead of coming onto our property.

How would I go about building the thing that generates the signal and what transducer would be best suited to throwing a signal/pressure wave about 30ft, can't put them any closer to the road, so that it is unbearable for the dogs to come into the yard? Similar to walking towards one of the monster speakers at a concert and its just too much to get any closer type thing. I'd really appreciate help with this problem. I'm retired so limited funds for sure but if I can get this to work I'd be happy to donate something to the board or a charity to show my gratitude. Thanks! Jim

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a similar problem with a neighbor who left her two small helpless barking dogs outside pretty much 24/7. I build my Dog-Buster(TMnot) out of a 555 timer, a big transistor, and a couple piezo tweeters leftover from a speaker building project. I'm not entirely sure that it had any effect on the dogs over the long term, but it made me feel better to think that it did...

If you don't know the Chinese-Greek-Russian-English dialect I don't think this would be a happy project for you, unless you are looking to make a career change to EE or become a ham operator. But you could start by looking at tweeters at my fav surplus outlets:
http://www.goldmine-elec.com/
http://www.allelectronics.com/
and also see if they have an oscillator kit that will run at 25-30KHz, somewhat above audio. Then you will need a 12-24v power supply and an NPN power transistor in a "common-emitter" layout to drive the speakers.

Maybe there's a nerd-kid in the neighborhood who hates the HOA as much as you who could be co-opted to the dark side?

I tried ultrasonics once, and it didn't make much difference. Personally, I'd love to be able to tie my sprinklers in with intrusion detection. I don't care about the dogs much. All told, they've never done anything worth raising my blood pressure

However, I detest people mucking about in my yard. The code complaince people are the worst. If they find it difficult to bring in enough violations, they feel free to walk into the yards, peek over the fences, and just generally do as they please.

Perhaps some electronics monitoring combined with the sprinklers?

Porch-light "motion sensor" connected to automatic sprinkler valve? Then you just have to make it distinguish between Friend and Foe...

Oh, the over-the-fence problem is still to be addressed. Probably higher fences.

Question 1: What is the purpose of an ultrasonic transducer assembly?

The purpose of an ultrasonic transducer assembly is to convert electrical energy into high frequency sound waves, and vice versa. This technology is commonly used in various industries for applications such as distance measurement, non-destructive testing, and medical imaging.

Question 2: How is an ultrasonic transducer assembly assembled?

An ultrasonic transducer assembly is typically made up of a piezoelectric element, a backing material, and electrodes. The piezoelectric element is sandwiched between the backing material and electrodes, and the entire assembly is encapsulated in a protective housing. The specific assembly process may vary depending on the manufacturer and application.

Question 3: What factors should be considered when choosing an ultrasonic transducer assembly?

When choosing an ultrasonic transducer assembly, factors such as frequency, power, and sensitivity should be taken into account. The frequency will determine the range of operation, while power and sensitivity will affect the strength and accuracy of the transmitted and received signals. Other factors to consider include size, durability, and cost.

Question 4: How do I troubleshoot issues with an ultrasonic transducer assembly?

If an ultrasonic transducer assembly is not functioning properly, it is important to check for any loose connections, damage to the housing or electrodes, and proper power supply. If these do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to test the assembly with a known working transducer or consult the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide.

Question 5: Can an ultrasonic transducer assembly be customized for specific applications?

Yes, ultrasonic transducer assemblies can be customized for specific applications by adjusting factors such as frequency, power, and sensitivity. Some manufacturers also offer custom design services to meet the unique needs of their customers. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the application and consult with the manufacturer to ensure the best-suited assembly is selected.