Help with unit vector for a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the cross product of the velocity of a charge and the unit vectors associated with a point. The vector r represents the position of the point relative to the proton, not the position of the proton itself. The question is why there should be a magnetic field and what information is missing from the problem statement and the provided picture. It is mentioned that the charge of the proton is not given. However, the problem can still be solved with the available information.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
What is the magnetic field at the position of the dot in the figure?
Relevant Equations
Cross Product
So when evaluation the cross product of the velocity of the charge and the unit vectors associated with the point I am getting

v x r = j x [ i + j].
Well j x j is 0.
j x i = -k, but yet the answer is positive. Why is this?

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 9.15.18 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector r is the position of the point relative to the proton, not the position of the proton.

Why should there be a magnetic field? What is given in this problem that you did not include in the Homework Statement and is not shown in the picture you posted? We are not even told the sign of the charge.

kuruman said:
Why should there be a magnetic field? What is given in this problem that you did not include in the Homework Statement and is not shown in the picture you posted? We are not even told the sign of the charge.
The picture shows a proton at (1,1) with a given velocity and asks for the magnetic field at (-1,-1). It seems pretty clear to me.

Likes SammyS
Orodruin said:
The picture shows a proton at (1,1) with a given velocity and asks for the magnetic field at (-1,-1). It seems pretty clear to me.
Yes, I see that now that I switched browsers.

kuruman said:
Yes, I see that now that I switched browsers.
Yes, I agree that we can figure out the problem which likely is to be solved.

However, I agree with your previous post in that a clear problem statement would be a great help. Especially one written as text and readable with any browser.

1. What is a unit vector for a magnetic field?

A unit vector for a magnetic field is a vector with a magnitude of 1 that points in the direction of the magnetic field. It is often represented by the symbol ẑ.

2. How is a unit vector for a magnetic field calculated?

A unit vector for a magnetic field is calculated by dividing the vector representing the magnetic field by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1 pointing in the same direction as the original vector.

3. Why is a unit vector for a magnetic field useful?

A unit vector for a magnetic field is useful because it allows for a standardized representation of the direction of the magnetic field. This makes it easier to compare and analyze magnetic fields in different scenarios.

4. Can a unit vector for a magnetic field change?

No, a unit vector for a magnetic field cannot change. It will always have a magnitude of 1 and point in the same direction as the magnetic field it represents.

5. How is a unit vector for a magnetic field used in calculations?

A unit vector for a magnetic field is used in calculations by multiplying it with the magnitude of the magnetic field to determine the total strength and direction of the field. It can also be used to find the components of the magnetic field in a specific direction.