Henderson Hasselbach Eq'n. Tris HCL Buffer

In summary, to create a 0.70M Tris HCL buffer with a pH of 7.9, you will need 8.49 g of Tris HCL. The correct ratio of base to acid is 4:1, which means you will need 0.35M of Tris base and 0.35M of HCL. However, the calculations for this ratio do not result in a pH of 7.9. After some trial and error, it was found that a ratio of 0.2M base to 0.5M acid would result in the desired pH. It is important to double check all calculations to ensure accurate results.
uzi
i need to create a solution of 0.70M Tris HCL buffer of pH 7.9 using 12.1 M of HCL
pKa = 8.3
so far this is what i have:

I need 8.49 g of Tris HCL because:
...(o.7M)*0.1L *(121.4g/mol)
THIS part of the calculation is right so don't worry about it. however i can't get the ratios right.

pH = pKa + log (base/acid)
7.9=8.3 + log (Trisb/Trisa)
7.9-8.3 = log (Tb/Ta)
-04 = log (Tb/Ta)
antilog -0.4 = 0.4

There are 4parts acid to 1 part base therefore:
Tb = 0.4Ta
Total tris = 0.70M
ThereforeL 0.7M =Tb +Ta
0.7 = 0.4Ta + Ta
0.7 = 0.4(4 parts Ta) + 0.4
0.7 = 2Ta

hence:

Ta = 0.7M/2 = 035
Tb = 0.70M - 0.35 = 0.35

BUT this doesn't make sense, because if youplug the ratios into the HH equation you don't get the right pH:

pH = 8.3 + log (0.35/0.35)
pH = 8.3 + 0
pH = 8.3
I need to make it a pH of 7.9 !

and then on top of that since the ratios are wrong I can't successfully calculate the HCL volume. T.T

The only correct ratios that would make sense are .2 and .5, but I did that through trial and error therefore I cannot use it.

pH = 8.3 + log (0.2/0.5)
pH = 8.3 + (-0.397)
pH = 7.9

Physics news on Phys.org
uzi said:
0.7 = 0.4Ta + Ta
0.7 = 0.4(4 parts Ta) + 0.4
0.7 = 2Ta

Check your math. First equation is OK, but later you do some unrelated tricks.

The only correct ratios that would make sense are .2 and .5

Hardly surprising: 0.2/0.5=0.4, so it just confirms what you calculated at the very beginning.

Related to Henderson Hasselbach Eq'n. Tris HCL Buffer

1. What is the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the pH of a solution based on the concentration of its acid and base components, as well as the acid dissociation constant. It is often used in chemistry and biochemistry to determine the pH of a buffer solution.

2. What is Tris HCl buffer?

Tris HCl buffer is a type of buffer solution commonly used in biological and biochemical experiments. It is made up of tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane (Tris) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) and is used to maintain a stable pH in a solution, even when small amounts of acid or base are added.

3. How does the Henderson Hasselbach equation relate to Tris HCl buffer?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution, such as Tris HCl buffer, based on the concentration of its acid and base components. By knowing the pH of the buffer solution, researchers can adjust the concentrations of acid and base to maintain a stable pH in their experiment.

4. Why is Tris HCl buffer commonly used in biological and biochemical experiments?

Tris HCl buffer is commonly used in biological and biochemical experiments because it has a pH range of 7.2-9.0, which is within the physiological pH range of most biological systems. It is also non-toxic and has a low ionic strength, making it suitable for use in sensitive biochemical reactions.

5. Can the Henderson Hasselbach equation be used for other buffer solutions besides Tris HCl?

Yes, the Henderson Hasselbach equation can be used for other buffer solutions besides Tris HCl. It can be used for any buffer solution that contains a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid. However, the acid dissociation constant (Ka) used in the equation may vary for different buffer systems.