Henry's law applied to a solution of a solute in a solvent

In summary: There is no explicit mention of pressure in either of those solutions, but it is clear from the graph that pressure is a factor. D and E are both incorrect because they are based on assumptions that are not explicitly stated in the equation.
havenly
Homework Statement
Let a solution of a solute B in a solvent A the vapour pressure is represented on the cluster below

A.The region in circle 1 accounts for the behavior of the solute in an ideally diluted solution
B.The vapour pressure of B is equal to Henry's constant in the case of an ideal solution?
C.Henry's constant is dimensional
D.Vapour pressure PB* corresponds to atmospheric pressure
E.The region in circle 2 accounts for the behaviour of the solvent in an ideally diluted solution.

I think it's B That's right?
Relevant Equations
;
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not agree. Explain why you think so ...

Also: please explain why you think A, C, D, E are not correct...

##\ ##

i think
option b is incorrect because k= pB* i.e. the pressure of the pure body in an ideal solution
C. henry's constant has the dimensions of a pressure
D.la steam pressure of pB* corresponds to the pression of the pure body.
E. a solution ideally diluted follows Henry's law and in circle 2 we see raoult's law.
the correct answer is a?

havenly said:
option b is incorrect because k= pB* i.e. the pressure of the pure body in an ideal solution
I find your picture difficult to read, but it seems to me the top right symbol is ##K_B## and the straight line says 'Ideal dilute solution (Henry's law)'.

In region 1 the ##p(x_B)## follows the straight line closely, so there you have ##p = K_B \,x_B##.
(so not k= pB* !)
In this case the constant ##K_B## has the dimension of pressure / mole fraction, i.e. it is not dimensionless.
(so doesn't that mean that answer C is correct too ? Unfortunately there are several forms of Henry's law -- also check here)

I can only assume that the ordinate is the partial pressure of B, although the axis title is 'Pressure'.

In summary: A seems correct, B definitely not, C seems correct too. D is nonsense and E can be argued correct as well: in that region component B can be considered to be 'the solvent'

I request a second opinion from @Chestermiller

##\ ##

I don’t think that E is correct.

Likes BvU
please you can explain to me why e is correct and not the a @Chestermiller

havenly said:
please you can explain to me why e is correct and not the a @Chestermiller
I agree with @BvU. It seems to me that both A and C are correct.

Likes chemisttree

1. What is Henry's law?

Henry's law is a principle in chemistry that describes the relationship between the concentration of a gas in a solution and its partial pressure in the gas phase. It states that at a constant temperature, the amount of gas dissolved in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in the gas phase.

2. How is Henry's law applied to a solution of a solute in a solvent?

In this case, the solute is a gas and the solvent is a liquid. Henry's law states that the concentration of the dissolved gas in the liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas in the gas phase. This means that as the partial pressure of the gas increases, the amount of gas dissolved in the liquid also increases.

3. What factors affect the solubility of a gas in a liquid according to Henry's law?

The solubility of a gas in a liquid according to Henry's law is affected by temperature, pressure, and the nature of the gas and liquid. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in higher solubility, while the nature of the gas and liquid can also play a role in the strength of the gas-liquid interaction.

4. How is Henry's law used in practical applications?

Henry's law is used in various practical applications, such as in the production of carbonated beverages and in gas-liquid separation processes. It is also used in environmental studies to understand the transport of gases between the atmosphere and bodies of water, and in the medical field to understand the absorption of anesthetic gases in the bloodstream.

5. Are there any limitations to Henry's law?

Yes, there are some limitations to Henry's law. It assumes that the gas and liquid are in equilibrium, and that the gas-liquid interaction is weak. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and pressure on the solubility of the solvent itself. Additionally, it is only applicable to dilute solutions and may not accurately predict the behavior of highly concentrated solutions.