Nucleophilicity of Halogens in aprotic solvent

• Thread starter hariharan venkatasu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the nucleophilicity of halogens in aprotic solvents is determined by their polarizability and electronegativity. In general, the larger and more polarizable the halogen atom, the more nucleophilic it will be. This is due to the increased ability to form a partial negative charge, making it more likely to attack electron-deficient species. However, electronegativity also plays a role, as more electronegative halogens have a greater ability to stabilize a negative charge, making them less nucleophilic. Additionally, solvent effects can also impact nucleophilicity, with polar aprotic solvents promoting more nucleophilic behavior due to their ability to solvate cations and decrease
hariharan venkatasu
TL;DR Summary
reversal of nucleophilicity of halogens in .
I know that in protic solvents I- is a strong nucleophile and F- is a poor nucleophile due to solvolysis. But why should I- become a poor nucleophile in an aprotic solvent and F- become a strong nucleophile in aprotic solvent? Why this reversal of nucleophilicity i.e., F->,Cl->,Br->,I-> ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In other words - what does "solvolysis" mean here, and how does it affect nucleophilicity.
In an aprotic solvent, F- is the strongest nucleophile, and I- the weakest.
But in a protic solvent, solvolysis means that protons are either completely transferred to the nucleophile, forming HF and HI, or at least partially transferred in form of a hydrogen bond bridge.
Proton makes a big change to F, and HF is much weaker nucleophile than F-. H2F+ cation, or HF bonded to hydrogen bonds, is even weaker. Whereas the effects of proton on I are weaker. The result is that HI is a stronger nucleophile than HF.

Likes jim mcnamara
Sorry, I meant solvation. But your answer does not clear the point why there is reversal of nucleophilicity of halogens in aprotic solvents?

hariharan venkatasu said:
Sorry, I meant solvation. But your answer does not clear the point why there is reversal of nucleophilicity of halogens in aprotic solvents?
Simple (anthropomorphized) explanation: nucleophiles are attracted to nuclei; protons are nuclei. A really strong nucleophile like fluoride will be attracted to protons, and will also attract protons. If your solvent is protic, your fluoride nucleophile will be too busy wooing the solvent protons to actually perform the reaction you want it to perform. If your solvent is aprotic, then the fluoride won’t be distracted by solvent protons, and can focus on the desired reaction. In contrast, a nucleophile like iodide is a little less attracted/attractive to nuclei. So it can spend more time in a protic solvent doing its job as a nucleophile reagent, and it won’t be as easily distracted by those sweet sweet solvent protons as fluoride will. In an aprotic solvent, however, there are no protons to distract, so in the contest between iodide and fluoride for the nucleofuge’s heart, the dashing fluoride wins over the awkward iodide.

Thank you very much for your nice explanation. However it is a bit difficult to understand the language. Could you please elaborate? BY the bye what is the meaning of the words anthropomorphize and nucleofuge?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthropomorphize

Webster's doesn't have "nucleofuge," but it's what a nucleophile is attracted to. So in a nucleophilic substitution of a fluoride ion on an alkyl iodide, the nucleophile is the fluoride and the nucleofuge is the carbon to which the iodine is attached.

Less anthropomorphically, note that besides classifying nucleophiles and electrophiles as "weak" or "strong", both are also classified as "hard" or "soft".
Fluoride is a hard nucleophile, because it is concentrated negative charge. Iodide is a soft nucleophile because it is spread out. Proton is a hard electrophile.
In protic solvents, fluoride ion is efficiently neutralized by the protons that solvate it. The small hydrogen atoms can approach close to fluoride and efficiently neutralize its charge. Whereas iodide ion is poorly solvated - a small hydrogen atom cannot get very close to iodine, and much of the polarizable electron clouds remain available for other reactions. Therefore the partially neutralized but mostly unneutralized iodide is stronger nucleophile than the mostly neutralized fluoride.

In polar aprotic solvents, there is no such a good way to neutralize fluoride. Therefore fluoride, as a concentrated negative charge, is the stronger nucleophile.

Thank you very much for your nice reply.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is nucleophilicity?

Nucleophilicity is a measure of the ability of a molecule or ion to donate a pair of electrons to form a new chemical bond. It is a kinetic property that describes the reactivity of a nucleophile in a chemical reaction.

2. How does the nucleophilicity of halogens vary in aprotic solvents?

In general, the nucleophilicity of halogens decreases as you move down the periodic table. This is because the atomic size increases and the electronegativity decreases, making it less likely for the halogen to donate its electrons. However, in aprotic solvents, the nucleophilicity of halogens increases as you move down the periodic table. This is because aprotic solvents are less polar and do not stabilize the negative charge on the halogen, allowing it to act as a stronger nucleophile.

3. What is an aprotic solvent?

An aprotic solvent is a solvent that does not contain an acidic hydrogen atom. This means that it cannot donate a proton and therefore does not participate in acid-base reactions. Examples of aprotic solvents include acetone, dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), and acetonitrile.

4. How does the polarity of a solvent affect nucleophilicity?

The polarity of a solvent can greatly affect the nucleophilicity of a molecule. In general, polar solvents stabilize charged species and decrease nucleophilicity. This is because the solvent molecules surround the nucleophile, making it less reactive. On the other hand, aprotic solvents, which are less polar, do not stabilize charged species and can increase nucleophilicity.

5. Why is the nucleophilicity of halogens important in organic chemistry?

The nucleophilicity of halogens is important in organic chemistry because it can greatly influence the outcome of a chemical reaction. A strong nucleophile can attack electrophilic centers in a molecule, leading to the formation of new bonds and the creation of new compounds. Understanding the nucleophilicity of halogens in different solvents can help predict and control the outcome of organic reactions.