Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian Conjugate

In summary: In this case, A is called essentially self adjoint. In a sense this is the largest subspace, where A is self adjoint. On this space self adjointness is a property of the operator, on a larger space it is a property of an operator pair.
teaJ
I know that [itex](A\mp )\mp =A[/itex] . Where A is an Hermitian operator How does one go about proving this through the standard integral to find Hermitian adjoint operators?

I should mention, I don't want anyone to just flat out show me step by step how to do it. I'd just like a solid starting place.

[itex]\int (A\mp \psi*) \varphi dx = \int (\psi*)A\varphi dx[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edited with the question. Forums are difficult sometimes :)

teaJ said:
I know that [itex](A\mp )\mp =A[/itex] . Where A is an Hermitian operator How does one go about proving this through the standard integral to find Hermitian adjoint operators?

I should mention, I don't want anyone to just flat out show me step by step how to do it. I'd just like a solid starting place.

[itex]\int (A\mp \psi*) \varphi dx = \int (\psi*)A\varphi dx[/itex]

I prefer [itex]\dagger[/itex] for Hermitian conjugate. Anyway...

Writing [itex]\langle \psi|\phi \rangle[/itex] for [itex]\int \psi^* \phi dx[/itex], we have the definition of [itex]A^\dagger[/itex]:

Equation 1: [itex]\langle A^\dagger \psi | \phi \rangle = \langle \psi | A \phi \rangle[/itex]

But we also have a fact about inner products:

Equation 2: [itex]\langle X | Y \rangle^* = \langle Y | X \rangle[/itex].

Now, apply equation 2 to both sides of equation 1 to get another fact about Hermitian conjugates.

teaJ said:
I know that [itex](A\mp )\mp =A[/itex] . Where A is an Hermitian operator
That's not true. An operator is hermitian or synonymously symetric, if ##\langle A^\dagger \phi|\psi\rangle =\langle \phi| A\psi \rangle ## for ## \phi,\; \psi \in \mathcal{D}(A)##. However, the domain of ##A^\dagger ## may be larger than that of A, ##\mathcal{D}(A)\subset \mathcal{D}(A^\dagger)## and then also ##\mathcal{D}(A)\subset \mathcal{D}(A^{\dagger \dagger})##. However if A is self adjoint, i.e. if additionally ##\mathcal{D}(A)=\mathcal{D}(A^\dagger)## then also ##\mathcal{D}(A)=\mathcal{D}(A^{\dagger \dagger})##.

1. What is the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate is simply the original operator or matrix itself. In other words, taking the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate results in the original operator or matrix.

2. Why is the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate important?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate is important because it is a property that allows us to easily check whether an operator or matrix is Hermitian (self-adjoint). If the Hermitian conjugate of an operator or matrix is equal to itself, then it is Hermitian.

3. How is the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate calculated?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate is calculated by taking the complex conjugate of each element of the operator or matrix and then taking the transpose of the resulting matrix. This can also be written as the adjoint operator or matrix.

4. What is the difference between the Hermitian conjugate and the adjoint?

The Hermitian conjugate and the adjoint are essentially the same thing. Both refer to taking the complex conjugate of each element and then taking the transpose of the resulting matrix. However, the Hermitian conjugate is typically used in the context of quantum mechanics, while the adjoint is more commonly used in the context of linear algebra.

5. Can the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate be non-Hermitian?

No, the Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate will always result in a Hermitian operator or matrix. This is because taking the complex conjugate and transpose of an operator or matrix twice will simply cancel out any imaginary components and leave you with the original real-valued operator or matrix.