Hermitian operators = values of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hermitian operators and their relation to observables in Quantum Mechanics, specifically the energy operator. The state vector, represented by kets, contains all information about the particle, but operators are needed to extract specific information. In order to answer questions in quantum mechanics, the mathematical question must be formulated and solved using the rules of quantum mechanics.
arlesterc
I have read in different places something like the following:
Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues
Hermitian operators/their eigenvalues are the observables in Quantum Mechanics e.g energy
I am not sure what this means physically.

Let us say I have a Hermitian operator operating on a Ket like:
H|A> = λ|A>
H|B> = β|B>

etc. for however many eigenvalues there may be - all real numbers.

And let us say we are talking about the 'energy' operator.

Also for sake of argument the real numbers of the eigenvalues are 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

What exactly is the energy operator doing to the Ket vectors in physical terms - if there is a physical meaning to H operating on A? Lamda operating on A? How does energy 'operate' on anything?

What is the physical meaning of the ket vector - if there is one?

Similarly what are the physical meanings, if any, of the eigenvalues i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4 ?

What does it physically mean that the eigenvalue 2 as opposed to 1 is multiplying ket vector A versus Ket Vector B?

What type of experiment/s - again in the energy area - would I do to get the eigenvalue 'observables'?

I appreciate in advance any time spent on clarifying the above for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The state vector (kets) mathematically represents the state of the particle or system in question (for simplicity, let's just talk about one particle). This ket represents everything we know (and everything we could know) about the particle.

However, we need a way to extract the information that we need. That is where operators come in.

One should always remember that these objects are mathematical representations of the physical thing and as such they obey certain rules that we impose on them. We must always know what question we are asking corresponds to what mathematical operation.

So, for example, "What is the expectation value for the energy of this particle?" would be answered by <E>=<A|H|A> given that the particle is in state |A>. If |A> happens to be an eigenstate of H, then we know that <A|H|A>=<A|λ|A>=λ<A|A>=λ (assuming your state is normalized). Thus, eigenstates of H have definite energies.

So, to answer any quantum mechanics question, we must first turn the English question into a mathematical question (just like for any word problem) and then find the solution given the Rules of Quantum Mechanics.

Related to Hermitian operators = values of variables

What are Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are mathematical operators that represent physical quantities in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the properties and behavior of quantum systems.

What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they correspond to observable quantities, such as position, momentum, and energy. They also play a key role in determining the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a quantum system.

What are the properties of Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators have the property of being self-adjoint, meaning that they are equal to their own adjoint (conjugate transpose). This allows them to have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors, which are essential in the measurement process of quantum systems.

How are Hermitian operators related to the uncertainty principle?

According to the uncertainty principle, the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. Hermitian operators representing these quantities do not commute, meaning that their measurements cannot be performed simultaneously. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

Can any operator be considered Hermitian?

No, not all operators are Hermitian. Only operators that satisfy the self-adjoint property and have real eigenvalues are considered Hermitian. Operators that do not satisfy these criteria are known as non-Hermitian operators.