How Can Learning Piano Help Me Understand the Physics of Sound and Music Theory?

In summary, learning piano can greatly aid in understanding the physics of sound and music theory. By playing and studying the instrument, one can gain a deeper understanding of concepts such as frequency, pitch, and harmonics. The physical movements and mechanics involved in playing the piano also provide a tangible experience of how sound is created and manipulated. Additionally, learning music theory through piano lessons can enhance one's understanding of musical structures and relationships between notes, chords, and scales. Overall, studying piano can greatly improve one's understanding of the physics behind sound and the foundations of music theory.
KiwiJosh
How did you find PF?
Google
Hi there, I am a guitarist and have recently decided to learn the piano as a tool for learning music theory. In digging into music theory I've come into wanting to understand it from the very physics of sound upwards. You'll probably find me on forums discussing sounds theory mostly!
I live in New Zealand, have been part of the organic farming / permaculture world for a number of years now. Currently I am a full time house sitter which is leave me many blessed hours to practice music and learn.
I've always had a deep interest in science, especially cosmology, though no formal training. Unfortunately I didn't even take physics past junior high school, but in the intervening years I have still gleaned a rudimentary understanding. I hope I can keep up with you all but please be patient if I have to ask for clarification on things you may consider basic!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you.