Hiding the url from history in chrome and android

In summary, there is no way to code a website to prevent the URL from being stored in a user's browsing history. Although it is possible in iOS, it is not a feature that can be controlled from a website and would likely be a security hazard. Javascript also cannot manipulate browser history as it is protected for security reasons. Although there are some options in HTML5, they may not work consistently or permanently and it is not recommended to manipulate browser history. Some individuals have attempted to manipulate history using Javascript, but it does not seem to be a successful method. Overall, trying to manipulate browser history is considered antisocial and should not be attempted.
Raghav Gupta
Is there a way of coding a website such that the URL not sticks in history of the user afterwards? It is possible in iOS. This is a part of the trick that we are using, since nobody would want a website that is not shown in history without going in incognito mode.

Technology news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
Is there a way of coding a website such that the URL not sticks in history of the user afterwards? It is possible in iOS. This is a part of the trick that we are using, since nobody would want a website that is not shown in history without going in incognito mode.
Not as far as I know. Browser settings are on the client side and cannot be controlled from a website.

Borg said:
Not as far as I know. Browser settings are on the client side and cannot be controlled from a website.
But then how is it possible in iOS?

Raghav Gupta said:
But then how is it possible in iOS?
You're the one saying that it's possible in iOS. I haven't worked with that to know if it's a feature that they allow. It seems like a big security hole to allow a website to control settings on a client's system.

Borg said:
You're the one saying that it's possible in iOS. I haven't worked with that to know if it's a feature that they allow. It seems like a big security hole to allow a website to control settings on a client's system.
Can it be done via a javascript code? Javascript has many effects on the client.
Or if that is not possible can we trick the browser history to store URL address as an alias by some kind of meta tag?

Raghav Gupta said:
Javascript has many effects on the client.
It can't touch browser settings and thankfully.

No, history is protected from javascript access and implemented in browser specific ways. It's designed that way on purpose for security, you don't want sites to know what other sites you have been visiting. It's not possible in any way that will be consistent and permanent.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It can't touch browser settings and thankfully.
newjerseyrunner said:
No, history is protected from javascript access and implemented in browser specific ways. It's designed that way on purpose for security, you don't want sites to know what other sites you have been visiting. It's not possible in any way that will be consistent and permanent.
I was searching through net to find some answers and got a thread that it can be done via javascript.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8125585/how-to-avoid-including-a-page-in-the-browsing-history

Likes Psinter and Greg Bernhardt
In HTML5 you get some more options:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API

I don't know if any of this is blocked for security reasons by any browsers. If not I wish that sites would use it to preserve the back button. Sites that break the back button should be blacklisted by all browsers, OS's, and federal and state statute.

BoB

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Raghav Gupta said:
I was searching through net to find some answers and got a thread that it can be done via javascript.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8125585/how-to-avoid-including-a-page-in-the-browsing-history
I don't want to sound negative, but did you try what the answer says in that link? Because I tried it and it doesn't work for me. Neither of the answers. The linked thread is from 2011, I tried it on Firefox and it still saved the history besides appearing in the URL bar. Perhaps things have changed since 2011 with the way browsers manage that kind of redirection.

On the other hand, this works if the page requesting the load is in the same server:
JavaScript:
$('YourReplacementDivisionID').load( "theHiddenPage.html" );
Where:

YourReplacementDivisionID -
is the ID you give to a division where you will load the page you don't want appearing in the history and url window.
theHiddenPage.html - is the page with the content that you don't want to appear in the history and URL.

You need of course to load jQuery before using this code and add the HTML elements like divisions and whatnot. Here is some more information on the load method of jQuery for a more customized loading: http://api.jquery.com/load/

Likes Raghav Gupta and jim mcnamara
Raghav Gupta why exactly do you want to fiddle with history?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
I was wondering the same thing...

Likes rbelli1
Is this the first step to killing Hitler?

BoB

OP, in this thread and in another, you're discussing things which, while not exactly illegal, are certainly antisocial. You probably should explain what you are doing.

Likes Borg
rbelli1 said:

BoB

If he tells you he's going to have to kill you

rbelli1 said:

BoB
Mark44 said:
I was wondering the same thing...

Vanadium 50 said:
OP, in this thread and in another, you're discussing things which, while not exactly illegal, are certainly antisocial. You probably should explain what you are doing.
I was going through new things you can do on websites, so I was fascinated by it. Like Ajax, Mathjax, transparent video of video spokeperson, URL masking.
So can we mask our URL by typing our URL but it gets replaced by wikipedia URL, showing our webpage? Eventually it leads to wikipedia history being stored in browser.
Like here in PF you can mask site like wikipedia with yahoo by using bb codes
yahoo.com

1. How can I hide my browsing history in Google Chrome?

To hide your browsing history in Google Chrome, you can use the incognito mode. This mode allows you to browse the internet without saving your browsing history, cookies, and site data. You can open an incognito window by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of the browser and selecting "New incognito window" or by using the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N.

2. Can I hide specific websites from my browsing history?

Yes, you can use the "Clear browsing data" feature in Google Chrome to selectively delete browsing history. You can access this feature by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of the browser and selecting "History" followed by "History" again. From there, you can check the boxes next to the websites you want to delete and click on "Delete" to remove them from your history.

3. How do I hide my browsing history on Android?

To hide your browsing history on Android, you can use the incognito mode in the Google Chrome app. You can open an incognito tab by tapping on the three dots in the top right corner of the app and selecting "New incognito tab". You can also use a different browser that offers private browsing, such as Firefox or DuckDuckGo.

4. Does using incognito mode completely hide my browsing history?

No, incognito mode only prevents your browsing history from being saved on your device. Your internet service provider and the websites you visit can still track your online activity. It also doesn't protect you from malware or other online threats.

5. Can I permanently hide my browsing history in Google Chrome?

While you can use incognito mode to temporarily hide your browsing history, there is no way to permanently hide it in Google Chrome. However, you can regularly clear your browsing history and use a virtual private network (VPN) to further protect your online privacy.