Hierarchy problem and Feynmam diagrams

• A
  • Thread starter nigelscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation is about verifying Feynman diagrams for the Hierarchy problem. The diagrams in question are (a) - the Higgs self interaction, (b) - the 1 loop Yukawa correction to the Higgs, (c) - the Higgsino in the supersymmetric model, and (d) - the sfermion in the supersymmetric model. The question is whether these diagrams are correct and what cancels what in the supersymmetric model. The literature suggests that (c) cancels (a) and (d) cancels (b), but the relationship between (d) and (a) is unclear. The conversation also touches upon the coupling constants involved in (c) and (d
nigelscott
I am trying to figure out the Feynman diagrams for the Hierarchy problem. Here's what I have.

cancellation1.jpg

(a) is the Higgs self interaction (φ4). It is quadratically divergent with additional logarithmic terms.

(b) is the 1 loop Yukawa correction to the Higgs where F might be the top quark and g is the Yukawa coupling constant. It is also quadratically divergent with additional logarithmic terms.

(c) shows the Higgsino in the supersymmetric model.

(d) shows the sfermion in the supersymmetric model.

My question is "Are these diagrams correct and, in the supersymmetric model, what 'cancels' what?"

Assuming (c) and (d) are valid diagrams, (c) should 'cancel' (a) and (d) should 'cancel' (b). Is this correct? What about other combinations? The literature seems to indicate that (d) would also 'cancel' (a) but I'm not sure why? Also, what can be said about the coupling constants involved in (c) and (d)?

I'm new to this subject so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I have modified my question based on some new understanding.

I am trying to verify some of the Feynman diagrams associated with the Higgs hierarchy problem. I have constructed the following.
susy_cancellation.jpg

(a) The self interaction and (c) the Yukawa interaction, represent the 1 loop corrections to the Higgs mass.

(b) Would offset (a).

(d) Would offset (c).

(e) Doesn't work because it violates R-parity.

Am I on the right track?

1. What is the hierarchy problem?

The hierarchy problem refers to the large discrepancy between the energy scales at which the Standard Model of particle physics and the theory of gravity are valid. The Standard Model describes the behavior of elementary particles and their interactions, while gravity is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. The hierarchy problem arises when trying to reconcile these two theories, as the energy scales at which they are valid differ by many orders of magnitude.

2. How do Feynman diagrams help with the hierarchy problem?

Feynman diagrams are a graphical representation of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They allow us to calculate the probability of a particular interaction occurring. In the context of the hierarchy problem, Feynman diagrams are used to study the behavior of particles at high energies, which can provide insights into the hierarchy problem and potential solutions.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the hierarchy problem?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle predicted by the Standard Model. It is responsible for giving mass to other particles through the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs boson is also closely related to the hierarchy problem, as it is thought to play a crucial role in stabilizing the mass of the Higgs itself and other particles at high energies.

4. Can the hierarchy problem be solved?

At present, the hierarchy problem remains an open question in physics. Various theories and models have been proposed to address this issue, such as supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and the anthropic principle. However, none of these solutions have been experimentally confirmed, and the hierarchy problem remains a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. How does the hierarchy problem relate to the search for new particles?

The hierarchy problem is closely linked to the search for new particles beyond those predicted by the Standard Model. These new particles may provide insights into the nature of the hierarchy problem and potentially offer solutions. For example, the search for supersymmetric particles is motivated by the potential to solve the hierarchy problem.