Higgs particle vs. Higgs field

In summary, the Higgs boson can be seen as an excitation in the Higgs field, similar to how electrons are excitations in the electromagnetic field. The Higgs field, which is everywhere, gives mass to particles in the standard model through its vacuum expectation value (vev). However, not all degrees of freedom in the Higgs field are used to generate mass-terms, resulting in the manifestation of the Higgs particle. It is impossible for fermion fields to have a large constant non-zero average value, but boson fields such as the photon, gluon, W, and Z fields could potentially have a non-zero value, which is not observed in nature.
dschwie
Does it make sense to say that the Higgs boson is an excitation in the Higgs field in much the same way that a fermion such as an electron is an excitation in the electromagnetic field? I am trying to understand the difference between the Higgs field, which is everywhere, and the Higgs boson which we only see under conditions of extremely energetic particle collisions.

Thanks and regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. With the correction that electrons are excitations of the electron field. The excitations of the EM field are photons.

Likes dschwie
dschwie said:
Does it make sense to say that the Higgs boson is an excitation in the Higgs field in much the same way that a fermion such as an electron is an excitation in the electromagnetic field?
Yes,somewhat...although this tended to confuse me more than it helped.

Likes dschwie
I think the important thing to know is that the vev of the Higgs field provides the masses of the gauge bosons and fermions in the standard model. The symmetries constrain the form of the Higgs field, and it is only after counting that one concludes that (with one Higgs field) not all the degrees of freedom are used to generate mass-terms. This results in one Higgs particle.

I'm not sure how, but I think you could imagine a model in which ALL the degrees of freedom of the Higgs field are used to generate mass terms, with no dynamical dof's left. In that case no Higgs particle would manifest itself to us.

Likes dschwie
haushofer said:
I'm not sure how, but I think you could imagine a model in which ALL the degrees of freedom of the Higgs field are used to generate mass terms, with no dynamical dof's left. In that case no Higgs particle would manifest itself to us.
yes I thin... if you would have been too much into it and had broken the [itex]U_{Q}(1)[/itex]...

First, it is impossible for fermion fields to have a large constant non-zero average value in nature. This is related to the difference between fermions and bosons; bosons can be non-zero on average, but fermions really can’t. So we can forget about electrons (and their cousins the muons and the taus), about neutrinos, and about the quarks. Fermions can pair with each other or with anti-fermions to make composite bosons, and those composite bosons can be non-zero on average. In fact this is true of the up and down quarks and their antiquarks, and it is true of electrons in a superconductor. But that’s a long story, and not our immediate concern.

What about the photon field, the gluon field, the W and the Z field? These are all bosons. In principle these fields could have a constant non-zero value on average throughout the universe. It is experiment, not theory, that says this isn’t the case. A large non-zero value for the electric field would have all sorts of effects that we do not observe, including most significantly an apparent violation of rotational invariance at large distance scales. The electric field is a vector (spin-1) — it points in a particular direction — so if it were non-zero, the direction in which its non-zero value points would be different from the other directions.

You can read more here: https://profmattstrassler.com/artic...2-why-the-higgs-field-is-non-zero-on-average/

What is the difference between the Higgs particle and the Higgs field?

The Higgs particle, also known as the Higgs boson, is a subatomic particle that is theorized to be responsible for giving other particles their mass. The Higgs field, on the other hand, is an invisible energy field that permeates the entire universe and interacts with particles to give them mass.

How was the Higgs particle discovered?

The Higgs particle was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists used the LHC to accelerate protons to nearly the speed of light and collide them together. The resulting data showed evidence of the Higgs particle's existence.

Why is the Higgs particle important?

The discovery of the Higgs particle confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and provided evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps to explain how particles acquire mass and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.

Can the Higgs particle be created or destroyed?

The Higgs particle cannot be created or destroyed, as it is a fundamental particle. However, it can be observed and studied through high-energy particle collisions or through the effects it has on other particles.

What are the potential applications of the Higgs particle and field?

The Higgs particle and field have many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, astrophysics, and even medicine. By understanding the Higgs field and its interactions with particles, scientists may be able to unlock new technologies and make advancements in our understanding of the universe.