High Efficeincy Peltier Coolers

• I
  • Thread starter christian everett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peltier
In summary: They also can work in any orientation, and can be switched from heating to cooling by reversing polarity. They are often used in consumer devices such as mini fridges and wine coolers, but the efficiency trade-off makes them less desirable for larger scale cooling applications. In summary, a company has claimed to have developed Peltier coolers with an efficiency of 55%, but their lack of response and the absence of these devices in consumer products suggests it may not be a legitimate claim. Peltier coolers themselves have limitations in efficiency compared to other cooling methods, making them more suitable for smaller scale applications.
christian everett
A company claims to have developed Peltier coolers that are 55% efficient by using a hard vacuum as the separate zone between cold and hot.
Cool Chips.jpg
. I can´t get them to respond to me. Is it a scam? If these devices actually work why haven´t we seen any in consumer devices?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian everett said:
A company claims to have developed Peltier coolers that are 55% efficient by using a hard vacuum as the separate zone between cold and hot...

I can´t get them to respond to me. Is it a scam? If these devices actually work why haven´t we seen any in consumer devices?
Based on a quick google and a generous characterization, I'll call them a company that has a technology that failed to live up to its promise. The company appears to be or about to be defunct and has been advertising their technology for so long that if they had it patented, the patent would have run out by now.

Likes berkeman
I don't know much about semiconductor fab, but a Peltier relies on a PN junction, and it seems to me if you have a vacuum there, you don't have a junction. Maybe they have some way around that, but based on russ_water's findings, probably not?

At any rate, 55% "efficiency" sounds like a Coefficient of Performance (a measure of how much energy is moved compared to the energy used to move it) of 0.55. Compressors typically have COPs >1, and often > 3 . Though Peltiers have advantages in size, weight and fewer moving parts (fans or pumps are often used to dissipate the heat from the Peltier).

1. What is a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler?

A High Efficiency Peltier Cooler is a type of thermoelectric device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side of the device to the other, resulting in cooling on one side and heating on the other. It is often used in electronic devices to maintain a specific temperature and is known for its high efficiency and reliability.

2. How does a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler work?

A High Efficiency Peltier Cooler works by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is the transfer of heat between two different materials when an electric current is passed through them. The device consists of two ceramic plates with different types of semiconductors sandwiched in between. When an electric current is applied, one side of the device becomes cooler while the other side becomes hotter.

3. What are the advantages of using a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler?

One of the main advantages of a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler is its high efficiency, meaning it can transfer heat more effectively compared to traditional cooling methods. It is also compact and reliable, making it suitable for use in various electronic devices. Additionally, it does not use any refrigerants, making it environmentally friendly.

4. What are the limitations of a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler?

One limitation of a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler is its limited cooling capacity. It is not as effective in cooling large or high heat-producing devices. It also requires a power source to operate, so it may not be suitable for portable devices. Additionally, it can be more expensive compared to other cooling methods.

5. How can a High Efficiency Peltier Cooler be used in scientific research?

A High Efficiency Peltier Cooler can be used in scientific research to maintain precise and stable temperatures for experiments. It can also be used for cooling sensitive equipment, such as lasers and microscopes, where even slight temperature changes can affect the results. Additionally, it can be used in sample storage to prevent degradation due to temperature fluctuations.