High Energy Physics and Group Theory Book Recommendations

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for books on high energy physics and HEP data analysis, group theory and symmetry. The speaker suggested a combination of Weinberg's 3 volume series and Nachtmann's book for a comprehensive understanding. They also mentioned Wu Ki Tung's book for continuous group theory and Peter Woit's upcoming book on quantum theory, groups and representations. The conversation ended with the speaker expressing their intent to acquire a copy of the recommended books.
Azure Ace
Hey there! I just want to ask if there are any books you would like to recommend that helps in studying high energy physics and HEP data analysis? Also can you recommend a good book for group theory and symmetry?

I would be glad if you have links to free downloadable books. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A very good combination of both aspects are the 3 vols. by Weinberg:

S. Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, 3 Vols., Cambridge University Press

It's however not ideal as an introductory textbook. You should complement it by some more introductory book, also dealing with phenomenology, for which I recommend

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics, Springer-Verlag
D. H. Perkins, Introduction to high-energy physics, Cambridge University Press

Likes Azure Ace and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
A very good combination of both aspects are the 3 vols. by Weinberg:

S. Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, 3 Vols., Cambridge University Press

It's however not ideal as an introductory textbook. You should complement it by some more introductory book, also dealing with phenomenology, for which I recommend

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics, Springer-Verlag
D. H. Perkins, Introduction to high-energy physics, Cambridge University Press

I'm quite familiar with the titles except Nachtmann's book. Thank you for your recommendations. Also what can you say about Thomson's book Modern Particle Physics and Walecka's Modern Physics series?

I prefer Wu Ki Tung for continuous group theory

Likes dextercioby and Azure Ace
Dr Transport said:
I prefer Wu Ki Tung for continuous group theory
I see. Good thing is this is the preferred textbook for our Group Theory class. Thank you very much! I have decided to find myself a copy of Wu Ki Tung's book.

ace_09 said:
I see. Good thing is this is the preferred textbook for our Group Theory class. Thank you very much! I have decided to find myself a copy of Wu Ki Tung's book.
I have had it for almost 30 years, read it on occasion and realize just how much I forgot over the years...

Likes Demystifier
Here is the final draft version of Peter Woit's book called "Quantum Theory, Groups and Representations: An Introduction" published by Springer later this year.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/QMbook

Likes smodak, Demystifier and Azure Ace
Dr Transport said:
I have had it for almost 30 years, read it on occasion and realize just how much I forgot over the years...

Coming from your experience, I am more convinced that I should really get a copy of this book.

ibkev said:
Here is the final draft version of Peter Woit's book called "Quantum Theory, Groups and Representations: An Introduction" published by Springer later this year.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/QMbook
Based on the title, I think it's a complete one. Thank you for the link

ace_09 said:
Coming from your experience, I am more convinced that I should really get a copy of this book.

If it is a text for a class I would...

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about High Energy Physics and Group Theory?

The most recommended book for beginners is "Introduction to High Energy Physics" by Donald Perkins. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject, including an overview of group theory and its applications in high energy physics.

2. I have a strong background in mathematics. Which book would be best for me to learn about High Energy Physics and Group Theory?

If you have a strong mathematical background, "Group Theory and Its Application to the Quantum Mechanics of Atomic Spectra" by Eugene Wigner is a great option. It delves deeper into the mathematical foundations of group theory and its applications in physics.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about High Energy Physics and Group Theory?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about High Energy Physics and Group Theory. Some recommended websites include CERN's website, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and the Particle Data Group website.

4. What is the most advanced book on High Energy Physics and Group Theory?

"Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists" by A. Zee is considered the most advanced book on the subject. It covers advanced topics in group theory and their applications in particle physics, quantum field theory, and string theory.

5. Can you recommend a book that focuses solely on group theory and its applications in High Energy Physics?

"Group Theory for High Energy Physicists" by Yorikiyo Nagashima is a highly recommended book that focuses solely on group theory and its applications in High Energy Physics. It covers topics such as symmetries, Lie groups, and gauge theories.