High Pass Filter Design: Reduce Interference to 0.05V Peak

In summary, the equations given state that the corner frequency of the highpass filter is fo=2kHz, and that T=RC=1/wo=1/(2Pi*fo)=1.6 ms. Values for R and C must be found to realize the time constant T=RC.
axe34
1. Homework Statement
''A machineoutputs a 4kHz sine wave signal of amplitude 2 volts peak, plus a 100Hz interference component of amplitude 1 V peak''

Given equation: Vout/Vin = 1/((1+(f0/f^2))^0.5 phase lead = inverse tan (f0/f)

f0 = 1/(2*pi*R*C)I'm given a 4 kilo-ohm resistor and need to choose a capacitor to reduce the interference (100 Hz signal) to 0.05 V peak; I need to design a high pass RC circuit.
2. Homework Equations

given in the Q

3. The Attempt at a Solution I'm not sure what f0 and f actually is. Equations I can find which are similar to this have 'critical frequencies' mentioned.

Physics news on Phys.org
axe34 said:
I'm not sure what f0 and f actually is. Equations I can find which are similar to this have 'critical frequencies' mentioned.
In the equations given, f would be the frequency of interest that you are trying to suppress, while fo would be the "corner frequency" of the filter which is determined by the choice of R and C for the filter.

Hi thanks for the reply. So would f would be 100 Hz? But I'm not sure how to cut the interference to 0.05 V only. Any ideas?

axe34 said:
Hi thanks for the reply. So would f would be 100 Hz? But I'm not sure how to cut the interference to 0.05 V only. Any ideas?
Yes, 100 Hz is what you are trying to suppress from 1 V down to 0.05 V. Looks like a Vo/Vi ratio is close at hand ;)

Vout/Vin = 1/[(1+(f0/f)^2)]^0.5

Hello - at first, I have corrected the expression for the magnitude of a firdt-order highpass (see above).
Because fo must be chosen so that at f=100 hz the damping factor is 1/0.05=20 we have the expression

[(1+(f0/f)^2)]^0.5=20;
(fo/f)^0.5=399~400.
(fo/f)=20
;
fo=20*f=2kHz.

Hence, the highpass corner frequency is fo=2kHz.
Therefore: T=RC=1/wo=1/(2Pi*fo)=1.6 ms.

Now you have to find suitable values for R and C for realizing the time constant T=RC.

Remark: Sorry - if I gave too many details in my answer. Only now I have realized that I am in the homework section.

Last edited:
Likes axe34
Thanks!

What is a high pass filter?

A high pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or reducing low frequency signals.

Why would I need to design a high pass filter to reduce interference?

Interference in electronic circuits can come from various sources, including low frequency signals. A high pass filter can help reduce this interference and improve the overall performance of the circuit.

How does a high pass filter reduce interference to 0.05V peak?

A high pass filter is designed with a specific cut-off frequency, which is the frequency at which the filter starts to attenuate signals. By setting the cut-off frequency to a value that is above the frequency of the interference, the filter will effectively reduce the interference to a negligible level (0.05V peak or lower).

What factors should I consider when designing a high pass filter?

Some important factors to consider when designing a high pass filter include the desired cut-off frequency, the type of filter (e.g. Butterworth, Chebyshev, etc.), the order of the filter, and the components available for implementation.

Can a high pass filter completely eliminate interference?

No, a high pass filter can only reduce interference to a certain extent. The amount of attenuation will depend on the design parameters and the characteristics of the interference. In some cases, additional filtering techniques may be necessary to completely eliminate interference.