High Performance Sealing Options (Turbomachinery)

In summary: Yea, it's a seal for the combustor. Due to the scope of the program (which I won't get into), the shaft has an odd shape, forcing high surface velocities.
minger
Science Advisor
Let's say you have a turbojet shaft that needs sealed. Temperatures and pressures are very high (very). Now let's assume that you don't know squat about seals. Aside from brush and labby seals, what other sealing options exist that can operate at extremely high pressures/temperatures (and possibly surface velocities).

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface velocities are the killer. You really don't have any other choices than labby's or carbon seals. Either a radial or face carbon seal is probably your best bet. Even then, depending on the seal delta P you could still be in trouble.

bleh. We're predicting too high leakage rates with the labbys, and I think we're out of the temperature range for carbon face seals. We might find ourselves running a lot of labbys inline...might not have the space for it though.

It's what I figured, but thanks for the info nonetheless.

Hi Minger,
Can you get the seal out of the hot area? Perhaps by moving it down the shaft or extending the shaft?

minger said:
bleh. We're predicting too high leakage rates with the labbys, and I think we're out of the temperature range for carbon face seals. We might find ourselves running a lot of labbys inline...might not have the space for it though.

It's what I figured, but thanks for the info nonetheless.
There are games to be played with cooling schemes. I am assuming this is in/around an HP turbine?

FredGarvin said:
There are games to be played with cooling schemes. I am assuming this is in/around an HP turbine?

Yea, it's a seal for the combustor. Due to the scope of the program (which I won't get into), the shaft has an odd shape, forcing high surface velocities.

We have another guy looking at options, but it seems that we're running out; I figured I'd take a look around. It's kind of funny though, google for high temp seals, and most suppliers' defintion of high temp is like kitchen oven temp...not so much HP spool temps.

Could you route high pressure bleed air through a cooler then back into the seal area?

1. What is the purpose of high performance sealing options in turbomachinery?

High performance sealing options in turbomachinery are designed to prevent the leakage of fluids, such as gas or oil, from the rotating components of the machine. This helps to improve efficiency, reduce maintenance costs, and extend the lifespan of the equipment.

2. What are some common types of high performance sealing options used in turbomachinery?

Some common types of high performance sealing options used in turbomachinery include labyrinth seals, brush seals, and carbon seals. These options offer different levels of performance and are often used in combination to achieve the best results.

3. How do high performance sealing options affect the overall performance of turbomachinery?

High performance sealing options play a critical role in the overall performance of turbomachinery. They help to reduce energy losses due to leakage, decrease maintenance and downtime, and improve the reliability and efficiency of the equipment.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting high performance sealing options for a specific application?

When selecting high performance sealing options for a specific application, factors such as operating temperature, pressure, speed, and fluid type should be considered. The design and materials of the seals should also be chosen carefully to ensure compatibility with the rest of the equipment.

5. How can regular maintenance and inspection of high performance sealing options help to optimize the performance of turbomachinery?

Regular maintenance and inspection of high performance sealing options is crucial for optimizing the performance of turbomachinery. This can help to identify any potential issues and allow for timely repairs or replacements. It also ensures that the seals are functioning properly and helps to extend their lifespan.