High Power Rectifiers - AC Conversion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of removing diodes from a high power DC rectifier to use it as an AC power supply. It is suggested that removing the diodes will result in three separate 50Vrms outputs, but it may not be safe to parallel the output windings. The individual's output requirements are 50 vac with 400 amps, and they have experience with AC mains and high voltage systems. There is also a suggestion to eliminate one leg of the primary side and use the remaining phases on the output side.
mbowen03
TL;DR Summary
use rectifier as power supply
Hello all, I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the diodes from a high power dc rectifier and use it as an AC power supply? Is it possible to use an inverter/converter to convert dc output to ac? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums :smile:

What's a "high power dc rectifier"? Do you have some device in mind?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums :smile:

What's a "high power dc rectifier"? Do you have some device in mind?
16215272540553989606162348659222.jpg

To me the question is very vague. Yes high power rectifiers can be removed from machines. After that the OP's question gets a bit difficult to understand. What's the goal? To put DC on the input and get AC on the output? Simply removing rectifiers will not accomplish this.

@mbowen03 -- I cleaned up your photo a bit to make it more readable. It looks to be a 3-phase rectifier. Are you asking about 3-phase AC power in general, or just using a 3-phase transformer to illustrate your question?

16215272540553989606162348659222.jpg

Last edited:
This is my idea of "high Power" rectifiers.
ame-380-0500gt_ml.jpg

image compliments of this site.

• Love
Likes davenn and Averagesupernova
Averagesupernova said:
To me the question is very vague. Yes high power rectifiers can be removed from machines. After that the OP's question gets a bit difficult to understand. What's the goal? To put DC on the input and get AC on the output? Simply removing rectifiers will not accomplish this.
The goal is to leave the AC input but change the output to AC

berkeman said:
@mbowen03 -- I cleaned up your photo a bit to make it more readable. It looks to be a 3-phase rectifier. Are you asking about 3-phase AC power in general, or just using a 3-phase transformer to illustrate your question?

View attachment 283321
I was wondering how difficult it would be to change the output to AC

berkeman said:

View attachment 283321
Currently it has 480 vac 3 phase on primary side and 50 volts DC on secondary. I want to change the output to 50 vac if possible.

mbowen03 said:
Currently it has 480 vac 3 phase on primary side and 50 volts DC on secondary. I want to change the output to 50 vac if possible.
This is the print from the rectifier I'm working on

mbowen03 said:
Then yes, removing the diodes and any output capacitors will give you 3 separate 50Vrms outputs. I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to parallel the 3 output windings, though.** What are your output power requirements?

Also, how much have you worked with AC Mains and high voltage? There are a number of safety considerations in this project...

** EDIT/ADD -- the 3 AC output windings cannot be parallel combined. They are out of phase.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Then yes, removing the diodes and any output capacitors will give you 3 separate 50Vrms outputs. I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to parallel the 3 output windings, though. What are your output power requirements?

Also, how much have you worked with AC Mains and high voltage? There are a number of safety considerations in this project...
Output requirements are 50 vdc at 10,000 amps. I have extensive experience with AC mains and high voltage systems.

mbowen03 said:
Output requirements are 50 vdc at 10,000 amps. I have extensive experience with AC mains and high voltage systems.
Whoops, sorry. Output reguirements are 50 vac with 400 amps.

mbowen03 said:
Output reguirements are 50 vac with 400 amps.
Can your application use 3 separate 50Vrms outputs with different phases?

I don't think so. But can I eliminate one leg of primary by pulling fuse and then use the remaining phases on the output side.

1. What is the purpose of a high power rectifier?

A high power rectifier is used to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) at high voltage and current levels. This is necessary for many industrial and commercial applications, such as powering large motors, welding equipment, and high voltage power supplies.

2. How does a high power rectifier work?

A high power rectifier uses a combination of diodes, thyristors, and other electronic components to convert AC to DC. The AC input is first converted to pulsating DC, and then filtered to produce a smoother DC output. The exact design and operation of a high power rectifier can vary depending on the specific application and requirements.

3. What are the benefits of using a high power rectifier?

There are several benefits to using a high power rectifier. First, it allows for the conversion of high voltage and high current AC power to DC power, which is necessary for many industrial applications. Additionally, it can provide a more stable and reliable power supply compared to using standard AC power. It also allows for precise control over the output voltage and current, making it useful for applications that require specific power levels.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using a high power rectifier?

One potential drawback of using a high power rectifier is the cost. These devices can be expensive, especially for high power applications. Additionally, they can generate a lot of heat and require cooling systems to prevent overheating. This can add to the overall cost and complexity of the system.

5. What are some common applications of high power rectifiers?

High power rectifiers are used in a wide range of applications, including industrial machinery, transportation systems, power generation, and renewable energy systems. They are also used in various electronic devices, such as power supplies and battery chargers. In general, any application that requires high voltage and high current DC power can benefit from using a high power rectifier.