High Power SCR Driver Design for Plasma Compression Coil Activation

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a circuit to activate a Plasma compression coil using two high power hokeypuck SCRs. The speaker asks if diodes should be inserted between the optoisolated driver A1 (and A2) and the limiting current resistor R1 (and R2), and requests for a full circuit drawing. The circuit involves using isolated drivers U1 and U2, a 6mF capacitor charged by R5, and draining the capacitor energy through the superconducting inductor L1 using a control trigger. The purpose of the circuit is to switch off the device once the plasma current is drained back into the capacitor.
Javier Lopez
I have made following design to drive two high power hokeypuck SCRs to activate a Plasma compression coil. As long as catode falls below 0V, I do not know if it is needed to insert diodes from the optoisolated driver A1 (and A2) and the limiting current resistor R1 (and R2):

Attachments

• SCR.png
    SCR.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Where exactly would you insert those diodes? And can you show the full circuit for the gate drive circuits?

Here is the complete drawing. U1 and U2 are isolated drivers. I ask if I have to insert a diode between U1 and R1 and another between U2 and R2 (in the forward resistor direction). (The R3 and R4 are set to drain the inducted voltage due high dV/dt at SCR due >10kAmps are drain).
My idea is to charge the 6mF capacitor using R5, then drain the capacitor energy through the coil sorrounding the plasma that is L1 by using a trigger signal named "control". As long as L1 is a superconducting inductor, most of the current will come back to the capacitor then I will switch off the device :)
30m6beg.png

Attachments

• 30m6beg.png
    30m6beg.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 516

1. What is a High Power SCR Driver?

A High Power SCR Driver is a device used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is specifically designed to handle high power levels and can switch large amounts of current on and off quickly.

2. Why is a High Power SCR Driver necessary for Plasma Compression Coil Activation?

A High Power SCR Driver is necessary for Plasma Compression Coil Activation because it can handle the high voltage and current levels required for this process. It also allows for precise control and fast switching, which is crucial for achieving the desired plasma compression.

3. What are the key factors to consider when designing a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation?

The key factors to consider when designing a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation include the required voltage and current levels, the switching speed and frequency, and the overall efficiency of the driver. Other important factors may include thermal management and protection against overloads or short circuits.

4. What are some common challenges faced when designing a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation?

Some common challenges faced when designing a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation include ensuring proper isolation and protection against high voltages, minimizing switching losses and heat dissipation, and achieving the desired precision and reliability in control.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when using a High Power SCR Driver for Plasma Compression Coil Activation. These include proper insulation and grounding, protection against overloads and short circuits, and following all necessary safety protocols and regulations for high voltage and high power systems.

Back