High School Chemistry: Stoichiometry Readings?

In summary, Chestermiller suggests reading non-proprietary articles to find examples of real-world applications of stoichiometry.
mishima
Hi there, I've taught high school stoichiometry (limiting reactant, theoretical yield, etc) for about a decade now focusing on both math (such as mol reactant to grams product) and related lab techniques (maximizing percent yield). I would like to expand my curriculum with some good readings that demonstrate real world applications of the techniques, and was wondering if anyone here had something interesting.

For example, I explain percent yield is used in industry to decide among different reactions which produce the same product, but I don't really have any interesting historical examples in the form of a engaging article.

Science news on Phys.org
mishima said:
For example, I explain percent yield is used in industry to decide among different reactions which produce the same product, but I don't really have any interesting historical examples in the form of a engaging article.
Maybe @Chestermiller can direct one to some easy-to-understand articles.

I would expect there are examples from the petroleum, petrochemical and chemical industries. I was thinking of refineries that produce a variety of products, or adjust their process for maximum yield of products like high-octane gasoline.
For example - https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/63586
High-Octane Gasoline Production from Catalytic Naphtha Reforming

Or production of ethylene oxide (oxirane).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090447921003506

Or something involving Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis.

I can think of one process regarding the formation of sintered UO2±x, but I don't know of any nonproprietary articles. The sintering atmosphere must be reducing (either with H2 or cracked NH3) with a narrow range of dew point. There are other considerations with respect to additives in the 'green' ceramic and temperature, typically > 1700°C.

Last edited:
Likes mishima
Thanks for those suggestions. I should mention I have access to Nature and AAPT journals.

As undergrads >50 years ago, we used a book entitled Industrial Stoichiometry. However, I am not aware if such a book exists today. Check Amazon. I did, and there are many good books on this subject available there. Also, check the curricula of Chemical Engineering departments at universities and see what books they are currently using.

Likes Astronuc

1. What is stoichiometry in high school chemistry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using mathematical calculations to determine the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants.

2. Why is stoichiometry important in high school chemistry?

Stoichiometry is important because it allows us to predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction, which is crucial in industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of chemistry and how atoms combine to form compounds.

3. How do you calculate stoichiometry in high school chemistry?

To calculate stoichiometry, you need to first write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, using the coefficients in the equation, you can determine the mole ratio between the reactants and products. Finally, you can use this mole ratio to calculate the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants.

4. What are the common units used in stoichiometry calculations?

The common units used in stoichiometry calculations are moles (mol) and grams (g). These units are used to measure the amount of a substance in a chemical reaction. The mole is the basic unit for amount of a substance, while grams is the unit for mass.

5. How does stoichiometry relate to other topics in high school chemistry?

Stoichiometry is closely related to other topics in high school chemistry such as the mole concept, chemical reactions, and balancing equations. It also lays the foundation for more advanced topics in chemistry such as thermodynamics and kinetics. Understanding stoichiometry is essential for success in higher level chemistry courses.