Question about Physical Chemistry Graduate School

In summary, the individual is currently a freshman at MIT and was initially planning to pursue a Chemistry and Physics double major. However, after looking at the requirements for a Chemistry minor, they realize they could also do a Physics and Math double major with a minor in Chemistry, which would allow them to avoid courses in Chemistry they are not interested in. They have already taken a Physical Chemistry sequence in high school and plan to take advanced level Chemistry courses at MIT. They have research experience in both Civil and Environmental Engineering and Chemistry, and plan to pursue multiple research projects at MIT. However, they are concerned about their chances of getting into a competitive Physical Chemistry graduate school if they choose to focus on Chemistry as a minor rather than a major.
megatyler30
I'm currently a freshman a MIT. I was planning to do a Chemistry and Physics double major but after looking at the requirements for a Chemistry minor, it wouldn't take any additional classes to do a Physics and Math double major with a minor in Chemistry. The reason this is appealing to me is that I would be able to take all the math courses I'm interested in and only have to take the Physical Chemistry sequence and a few other chem classes (Orgo 1, Inorg 1, and an intensive lab course) which enables me to largely avoid the side of Chemistry I have no interest in.

Currently I have a research project in Civil and Environmental Engineering but next school year I'll have a research project with a physical chemistry professor whose interests align with mine. Also, while in high school, among other research, I did work in a local Chemistry lab. I plan to get a research projects in a variety of areas while at MIT but I do plan to get at least two different Chemistry ones.I have taken a full Physical Chemistry sequence at a local university in high school and I will be testing out of MIT's Thermodynamics and Physical Chemistry 2 (Intro to Stat. Mech) classes. Also, I am currently taking the graduate level chemistry Statistical Thermodynamics and plan to take the graduate level Chemistry Statistical Mechanics and Kinetics before I graduate.

My main concern about taking this path is that by religating Chemistry to a minor, I lose my chances getting into a competitive Physical Chemistry graduate school. Anyone have any experience on something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, going to graduate school in X when you have majored in Y makes you less competitive than majoring in X. How much less competitive depends on the student and the admissions committee.

1. What is the application process like for a physical chemistry graduate program?

The application process for a physical chemistry graduate program typically involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and taking the GRE exam. Some programs may also require a writing sample or a resume. It is important to carefully review the requirements and deadlines for each program.

2. What types of courses can I expect to take in a physical chemistry graduate program?

In a physical chemistry graduate program, you can expect to take courses in thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as biophysical chemistry or materials chemistry.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a physical chemistry graduate program?

A physical chemistry graduate program typically takes 2-3 years to complete. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students who have completed a bachelor's degree in chemistry, which can be completed in 1-2 years.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available in a physical chemistry graduate program?

Physical chemistry graduate programs offer a variety of research opportunities, including theoretical and experimental work. Many programs have research groups focused on areas such as nanotechnology, materials science, and chemical dynamics. It is important to research the faculty and their research interests when considering a program.

5. What career options are available for graduates of a physical chemistry graduate program?

Graduates of a physical chemistry graduate program have a variety of career options, including research positions in academia, industry, and government laboratories. Some may also pursue careers in fields such as patent law, science communication, or teaching. Many graduates also go on to pursue postdoctoral research positions before entering the job market.