High school kids building nuclear reactors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of building a nuclear reactor in one's basement or garage. The participants wonder how people are able to do this, given the complexity and legality of such a project. They also question how individuals are able to obtain radioactive materials and the cost associated with building a reactor. However, the conversation is ultimately closed due to the potential danger and illegality of the topic.
Opus_723
So occasionally I see something in the news about some teenage who built a nuclear reactor in his basement. And just the other day, my girlfriend told me that one of her clients mentioned that her boyfriend is a Physics major at my university, and has a nuclear reactor in his garage that he started building when he was 12.

Needless to say, this is all making me feel pretty inadequate. But all of the aside, I was wondering how people even go about doing something like that, regardless of their age. Wouldn't it be highly illegal to do something like that? How do they get a hold of radioactive materials? And wouldn't it cost A LOT of money to make?

I'm just curious if these people are just insanely talented/lucky/wealthy, or if building a nuclear reactor isn't as hard as I thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
Needless to say, this is all making me feel pretty inadequate. But all of the aside, I was wondering how people even go about doing something like that, regardless of their age. Wouldn't it be highly illegal to do something like that? How do they get a hold of radioactive materials? And wouldn't it cost A LOT of money to make?

I'm just curious if these people are just insanely talented/lucky/wealthy, or if building a nuclear reactor isn't as hard as I thought.

Building a 900MW commercial reactor and electrical generating plant is hard.

Building one in your garage with no intention of powering anything isn't as hard :) I'm no expert on reactors but things like "Nuclear reactor" and "particle accelerator" and "telescope" cover a vast spectrum in terms of complexity and usefulness.

Opus_723 said:
So occasionally I see something in the news about some teenage who built a nuclear reactor in his basement. And just the other day, my girlfriend told me that one of her clients mentioned that her boyfriend is a Physics major at my university, and has a nuclear reactor in his garage that he started building when he was 12.

Sorry, we don't discuss dangerous or illegal activities on the PF. Thread is closed.

1. How is it possible for high school students to build nuclear reactors?

High school students can build nuclear reactors through participation in science fairs or school projects. These projects typically involve the use of low-level radioactive materials and are supervised by qualified scientists and engineers. Students are not able to build full-scale nuclear reactors, but rather small-scale models or demonstrations.

2. Is it safe for high school students to handle nuclear materials?

Yes, it is safe for high school students to handle nuclear materials as long as they follow proper safety protocols and are supervised by qualified professionals. The materials used in these projects are typically low-level and do not pose significant health risks.

3. Can high school students create nuclear reactions with their projects?

No, high school students are not able to create nuclear reactions with their projects. These projects use low-level radioactive materials that do not have enough energy to initiate a nuclear reaction. The purpose of these projects is to demonstrate concepts and principles of nuclear physics, not to create a functioning nuclear reactor.

4. What is the purpose of high school students building nuclear reactors?

The purpose of high school students building nuclear reactors is to spark interest and curiosity in the field of nuclear science and to promote STEM education. These projects allow students to gain hands-on experience and a better understanding of nuclear technology and its applications.

5. Are there any regulations or safety measures in place for high school students building nuclear reactors?

Yes, there are regulations and safety measures in place for high school students building nuclear reactors. These projects must adhere to strict safety protocols and are often overseen by qualified scientists and engineers. Additionally, the use of low-level radioactive materials is heavily regulated and monitored by government agencies.