High School POTW #289: Solve Trigonometric and Polynomial Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, solving trigonometric and polynomial equations in high school helps students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the trigonometric function and use inverse trigonometric functions and algebraic manipulations. The steps for solving a polynomial equation depend on the degree of the polynomial, and it is important to check for extraneous solutions and use the graph to verify solutions. These skills have many real-life applications and can be improved through practice and a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

The High School POTW should be number 289 this week, but due to the fact that I was a bit late carrying out my duty over several weeks, I fell behind a week, and so I will make it up by posting two POTWs this week.

I sincerely apologize for this, and I hope our members can take up the challenge and solve two High School POTWs this week!

Here is this week's second POTW:

-----

Solve \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\left(\sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{2}\right)\right)^2+2x^4-5x^2+1=0.\)

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to Opalg for submitting the only solution that can truly be considered complete. His solution is shown below:
Using the trig formula $\sin^2\theta = \frac12(1 - \cos(2\theta)$, the equation becomes $\frac18(1 - \cos(\pi x)) + 2x^4 - 5x^2 + 1 = 0.$ Write that as $$0 = 16x^4 - 40x^2 + 9 - \cos(\pi x) = (4x^2 - 1)(4x^2 - 9) - \cos(\pi x).$$

Let $f(x) = (4x^2 - 1)(4x^2 - 9)$ and $g(x) = \cos(\pi x).$ Then $f(x) = 0$ when $x = \pm\frac12$ and when $x = \pm\frac32$. But $g(x)$ is also zero at each of those four points. So that gives four solutions to the original problem $f(x) - g(x) = 0.$

The fact that these are the only solutions is "obvious" from the graphs of $f(x)$ and $g(x)$, but it seems harder to give a formal proof.

[DESMOS=-2.4417637271214643,2.5582362728785357,-2.3125000000000373,2.6874999999999627]y\ =\ \left(4x^2-1\right)\left(4x^2-9\right);y\ =\ \cos\left(\pi x\right)[/DESMOS]

Both functions $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ are even, so it is enough to show that $\frac12$ and $\frac32$ are the only positive solutions. The derivative $f'(x) - g'(x)$ is $16x(4x^2-5) + \pi\sin(\pi x)$. This is negative for $0<x<1$, so $f(x) - g(x)$ can only have one zero in that interval. The derivative is positive whenever $x>\frac54$, so there can only be one zero in that interval. Finally, in the interval $1\leqslant x\leqslant \frac54$ the function $f(x)$ is less than $-14$, so that $f(x) - g(x)$ is negative and cannot have any zeros.
The following members found the correct solutions, but did not demonstrate that they were the only solutions, and so they get partial credit:
1. MarkFL
2. lfdahl

1. What is the purpose of solving trigonometric and polynomial equations in high school?

Solving trigonometric and polynomial equations in high school helps students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It also prepares them for more advanced math courses in college and future careers that may require mathematical proficiency.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must first isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions and algebraic manipulations to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to remember to check for extraneous solutions and to use the unit circle to simplify trigonometric expressions.

3. What are the steps for solving a polynomial equation?

The steps for solving a polynomial equation depend on the degree of the polynomial. For a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. For higher degree polynomials, you can use the rational root theorem, synthetic division, and the fundamental theorem of algebra. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions and to use the graph of the polynomial to verify the solutions.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving trigonometric and polynomial equations?

Solving trigonometric and polynomial equations have many real-life applications. For example, trigonometric equations can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points. Polynomial equations can be used to model real-life situations, such as population growth, and make predictions about the future. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve complex problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving trigonometric and polynomial equations?

To improve your skills in solving trigonometric and polynomial equations, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. You can also use online resources, such as practice problems and instructional videos, to supplement your learning. Additionally, understanding the fundamentals of algebra and trigonometry will make solving these equations easier.