Hit with mallet to one side clamped metal triangular plate

In summary, when hitting a triangular metal plate, each strike will produce a different sound due to its multiple vibrational modes. However, the shape and distribution of energy will affect the balance of these modes, and striking different locations may produce slightly different sounds. This is similar to tuning a drum skin to produce a consistent sound regardless of where it is struck.
Mustafa Umut

Homework Statement

I want to build a musical instrument for homework . I want to cut triangular metal plate where triangle will stand vertical to ground , bottom of triangle is 1 inch wide and clamped , triangle height is 42 inches.

Does that triangle produce different notes when hitting from bottom to up , different locations or does it produce the same sound everywhere ?

Homework Equations

too much complicated

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that no two sounds are actually the exact same- so every time you hit the plate: from a physics point of view; it will produce a different sound although you as a person may not be able to distinguish the difference.

What constitutes a certain sound? What determines pitch when hearing the sound?

Mustafa Umut said:

Homework Statement

I want to build a musical instrument for homework . I want to cut triangular metal plate where triangle will stand vertical to ground , bottom of triangle is 1 inch wide and clamped , triangle height is 42 inches.

Does that triangle produce different notes when hitting from bottom to up , different locations or does it produce the same sound everywhere ?

Homework Equations

too much complicated

The Attempt at a Solution

The plate will have a number of vibrational modes, each with its own frequency. The frequencies and the distribution of energy between them will be largely dictated by the shape (and the mix may or may not be harmonious), but the balance will also be influenced by where the plate is struck.
I read that drum skins have to be "tuned", i.e. tightened in a way which ensures the drum produces almost the same sound regardless of where it is struck.

Related to Hit with mallet to one side clamped metal triangular plate

1. What is the purpose of hitting a clamped metal triangular plate with a mallet to one side?

The purpose of this action is known as modal analysis and is used to study the vibration characteristics of the metal plate. By hitting the plate with a mallet, it excites different modes of vibration, allowing scientists to measure and analyze the plate's natural frequencies and mode shapes.

2. What is the scientific principle behind this method?

The scientific principle behind hitting the metal plate with a mallet is based on the concept of forced vibration. When an external force, in this case the mallet, is applied to the plate, it causes the plate to vibrate at its natural frequency. By measuring the plate's response to this external force, scientists can determine its vibration characteristics.

3. What type of data can be collected from this experiment?

The data collected from hitting a clamped metal triangular plate with a mallet includes the plate's natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping ratios. These parameters are important for understanding the structural integrity and dynamic behavior of the plate.

4. How is this method different from other modal analysis techniques?

This method of modal analysis is known as the "impact hammer test" and is different from other techniques, such as the "shaker test," which uses a mechanical shaker to excite the plate's vibrations. The impact hammer test is preferred for smaller and lighter structures, while the shaker test is used for larger and heavier structures.

5. What are the practical applications of this experiment?

This experiment has various practical applications, such as in the aerospace industry for testing aircraft components, in automotive engineering for studying vehicle chassis and frames, and in civil engineering for analyzing the structural integrity of bridges and buildings. It is also used in musical instrument design and optimization.