Hockey Stick and Climate Sensitivity

In summary: If you would like more detailed information, I recommend reaching out to a climate scientist or expert in the field. They would be better equipped to provide a thorough explanation.
random23
I wonder if you might be able to help me with a question I have about climate change, specifically Mann's MBH99 hockey stick graph in relation to climate sensitivity equation. I would like to know where the climate sensitivity equation "Delta T = RF*lamba fits into the making of the hockey stick graph - did Mann use this equation (or some variation of it) when reconstructing paleoclimate temperatures using proxy data i.e. tree rings/ice cores/lake sediments/corals.

Thanks.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I am not an expert, but at least I can refer you to what I think is a good source of information. Dr. James Powell mentions the hockey stick graph in at least one of his videos, which are available on Youtube, and he may have a more detailed explanation on his site. If not, you can contact him and request some information. I did so myself with a question and he answered fairly quickly. His Bio, which is linked to from his home page, is very impressive.

http://www.jamespowell.org

Hi there,

I am not an expert on climate science, but I can try to provide some information based on my understanding. From my research, it seems that the climate sensitivity equation you mentioned is a simplified version of the equation used in climate models to estimate the change in global temperature (Delta T) in response to a change in radiative forcing (RF). The parameter lambda represents the climate sensitivity, or how much the global temperature will change for a given change in RF.

In terms of Mann's MBH99 hockey stick graph, it appears that he did use a similar equation to estimate past temperatures using proxy data. According to a paper published by Mann and colleagues in 1998, they used a statistical method called principal component analysis (PCA) to reconstruct past temperatures using proxy data. This method takes into account various factors, including the relationship between temperature and RF, to estimate past temperatures.

So while I cannot say for certain that Mann used the specific climate sensitivity equation you mentioned, it seems that a similar approach was used in his reconstruction of the hockey stick graph. I hope this helps answer your question.

1. What is the "Hockey Stick" graph in relation to climate sensitivity?

The "Hockey Stick" graph refers to a graph of global temperature data over the past 1,000 years, which shows a sharp increase in temperatures in recent decades. This graph is often used as evidence of the significant impact of human activities on climate change, and therefore relates to the concept of climate sensitivity.

2. How is climate sensitivity calculated?

Climate sensitivity is typically calculated by using climate models and analyzing various factors such as changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, changes in solar radiation, and feedback mechanisms. It is a measure of how much the Earth's climate will respond to changes in these factors.

3. What is the current estimated value for climate sensitivity?

The current estimated value for climate sensitivity is around 3 degrees Celsius. This means that for every doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, the Earth's average temperature is expected to increase by approximately 3 degrees Celsius.

4. How does the "Hockey Stick" graph impact our understanding of climate sensitivity?

The "Hockey Stick" graph, along with other evidence, has helped to solidify our understanding of climate sensitivity and the significant role that human activities play in climate change. It shows a clear and rapid increase in temperatures in recent decades, which is likely due to the increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels caused by human activities.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding the "Hockey Stick" graph and its implications for climate sensitivity?

Yes, there is some controversy surrounding the "Hockey Stick" graph and its implications for climate sensitivity. Some critics argue that the graph is not an accurate representation of past temperatures and that it overestimates the current rate of warming. However, numerous studies have validated the accuracy of the graph and its significance in understanding climate change.