Hölder Continuous Maps from ##R## to a Metric Space

In summary, a Hölder continuous map is a type of mathematical function that is characterized by a certain level of smoothness and lack of abrupt changes. It is stronger than other forms of continuity and has important implications in the study of metric spaces, analysis, and various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. An example of a Hölder continuous map is the function f(x) = √x, and it is used in the study of dynamical systems, fractals, and partial differential equations.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let ##\gamma > 1##. If ##(X,d)## is a metric space and ##f : \mathbb{R} \to X## satisfies ##d(f(x),f(y)) \le |x - y|^\gamma## for all ##x,y\in \mathbb{R}##, show that ##f## must be constant.

Likes topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If ##a<b## with ##f(a)\neq f(b)##, chop up the interval ##[a,b]## into many small pieces.

Since this is a POTW, if you have a solution, @Infrared, please don't hesitate to post it! :-)

Oh I generally don't give solutions here because I'm past the "university student" level,

Without loss of generality, I just check that ##f(0)=f(1)## to make the algebra nicer.
Let ##0=t_0<t_1<\ldots<t_n=1## be the partition ##t_k=\frac{k}{n}.## The given condition is ##d(f(t_i),f(t_{i+1})\leq 1/n^{\gamma}.## Summing over all consecutive ##t_i## and using the triangle inequality gives

$$d(f(0),f(1))\leq\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} d(f(t_k),f(t_{k+1}))\leq \frac{n}{n^{\gamma}}=n^{1-\gamma}.$$

As ##n\to\infty,## the right term goes to 0, so the distance between ##f(0)## and ##f(1)## has to be zero too.

Likes Euge

1. What is a Hölder continuous map?

A Hölder continuous map is a type of function that describes the relationship between two mathematical spaces, specifically between the real numbers (##R##) and a metric space. It is named after the mathematician Otto Hölder and is characterized by a certain level of smoothness or regularity in its behavior.

2. How is Hölder continuity different from other types of continuity?

Hölder continuity is stricter than ordinary continuity, but less strict than uniform continuity. A Hölder continuous map satisfies a certain type of inequality that involves the distance between points in the metric space, whereas an ordinary continuous map only needs to satisfy the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. This makes Hölder continuity a useful tool for studying the regularity of functions.

3. What is the significance of Hölder continuous maps in mathematics?

Hölder continuous maps are important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and topology. They are used to study the behavior of functions and to prove theorems related to differentiability, integrability, and convergence. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. How are Hölder continuous maps related to Lipschitz continuous maps?

Hölder continuous maps are a generalization of Lipschitz continuous maps. A Lipschitz continuous map satisfies a stronger inequality than a Hölder continuous map, which makes it even more regular. However, not all Lipschitz continuous maps are Hölder continuous, so Hölder continuity is a more general concept.

5. Can you provide an example of a Hölder continuous map?

One example of a Hölder continuous map is the function ##f(x) = \sqrt{x}##, which maps the real numbers (##R##) to the metric space of non-negative real numbers with the usual distance metric. This function satisfies the inequality ##|f(x) - f(y)| \leq C|x - y|^{\frac{1}{2}}## for some constant ##C##, which makes it Hölder continuous with exponent ##\frac{1}{2}##.