Home Improvement Project & PV=nRT

In summary, the individual is experiencing a problem with convection pushing nasty kitchen smells up to their attic apartment from their neighbors who live below. They believe that increasing the temperature in their crawl space with a space heater and humidifier may change the direction of the air current. However, without knowing all the details, it is suggested that this may actually worsen the problem by increasing buoyant forces. The individual has tried using expanding foam to block the flow, but there is still a draft coming through. Alternate suggestions based on physics are welcomed.
gauss44
I live in an attic apartment and have been suffering a problem lately. Convection seems to be pushing (nasty kitchen smelling) air up to my apartment from my neighbors who live below me in the same building. This nasty air current primarily seems to be coming from a specific crawl space inside my closet.

Here's what I think might solve my problem & I am interested in alternate suggestions based on physics:

My thinking is that if I increase the temperature in the closet and crawl space with a space heater and humidifier, I might be able to change the direction of the air current. PV=nRT suggests that pressure is proportional to temperature so by increasing the temperature, I think I can get the air to flow downward. I'm in the process of safely testing this theory.

As someone who enjoys physics, I find this problem interesting, and figured others might as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing details of the situation I'd guess heating the space will increase the problem. More heat means more buoyant forces and more upward flow, drawing even more air from below. I'd work on blocking the flow.

billy_joule said:
Without knowing details of the situation I'd guess heating the space will increase the problem. More heat means more buoyant forces and more upward flow, drawing even more air from below. I'd work on blocking the flow.

I agree about the blocking the flow part. I went in there with Great Stuff, which is that spray-on expanding foam sold in hardware stores and sealed every substantial crevice I could find. Somehow, a draft still comes up! Not as bad as it was though.

1. What is a Home Improvement Project?

A home improvement project is any type of renovation, expansion, or improvement done to a residential property. This can include anything from small repairs to major renovations.

2. How does PV=nRT relate to Home Improvement Projects?

PV=nRT is the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of a gas are all related. In the context of home improvement projects, this equation can be used to calculate the amount of gas (such as air or steam) needed for certain tasks, such as painting or heating.

3. What factors should be considered when planning a Home Improvement Project?

When planning a home improvement project, it is important to consider factors such as budget, timeline, materials, and the scope of the project. It is also important to consider any necessary permits or regulations that may apply.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind during a Home Improvement Project?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken during a home improvement project. This can include wearing protective gear, using proper tools and equipment, and following safety guidelines for specific tasks, such as using ladders or handling chemicals.

5. How can I ensure that my Home Improvement Project is environmentally friendly?

There are several ways to make your home improvement project more environmentally friendly. This can include using sustainable materials, properly disposing of construction waste, and choosing energy-efficient options for appliances and systems. It is also important to follow local regulations and guidelines for environmentally friendly building practices.