Homemade Reactive Archery Target

• Thread starter Liza Sarychev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a homemade archery target that will flash a light every time it is pierced by an arrow. The idea of using resistive touch screen technology is proposed, but the problem of turning the increase in resistance into a signal for the lightbulb is brought up. Alternative solutions such as using capacitance or a microphone with a metal shield are suggested. It is also mentioned that the target can be printed on disposable paper and plugged into a control unit. The simplicity of using a microphone or vibration detector behind the target is acknowledged, and it is clarified that any hit on target is considered a score. Different scores for different distances from the center are not necessary.
Liza Sarychev
Hello,
I'm making a homemade archery target that will flash a light every time the target has been pierced. I'm thinking of using the idea behind resistive touch screen technology. So every time the arrow pierces a resistive layer would contact a conductive layer and increase the resistance of the circuit.

My problem is: how do I take that increase in resistance and use it as a signal to turn on a lightbulb.

I am not an EE, and have VERY limited knowledge, so thank you for helping and being patient.

Also, is there another way to solve this problem of turning a light on every time the target is hit, perhaps with capacitance? Maybe use a grid of switches that once hit and ruptured could trigger a capacitor to flash a lightbulb?
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 11.29.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 11.40.28 AM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The problem with most of those ideas you suggest is that they would degrade with time as more and more arrow holes puncture it. My suggestion would be a cheap microphone to pick up the sound. A little metal shield in front of the mike would protect it from being pierced by an arrow.

Others on this forum are much better than I at circuit design, so I won't propose a circuit myself.

Good luck. That sounds like a fun project.

anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF.

The problem with most of those ideas you suggest is that they would degrade with time as more and more arrow holes puncture it. My suggestion would be a cheap microphone to pick up the sound. A little metal shield in front of the mike would protect it from being pierced by an arrow.

Others on this forum are much better than I at circuit design, so I won't propose a circuit myself.

Good luck. That sounds like a fun project.

Hi anorlunda, thanks for your input!

The idea would be to print circuits on paper that would be disposable and plug them into a control unit.

A microphone or vibration / movement detector behind the target is probably the simplest solution.
Is any hit a score or do you want different scores for different distances from the centre.

Baluncore said:
A microphone or vibration / movement detector behind the target is probably the simplest solution.
Is any hit a score or do you want different scores for different distances from the centre.

Hi Baluncore,
Any hit that's on target is a score. The target can be anywhere from 2 in in diameter to 6 inches or even more.

1. What materials are needed to make a homemade reactive archery target?

To make a homemade reactive archery target, you will need foam, duct tape, a tarp, and a target face. You may also want to have a knife or scissors on hand to cut the foam to the desired size.

2. How do I construct the target?

Start by cutting the foam into a rectangle or square shape, depending on the size of target you want. Then, wrap the foam in a tarp and secure it with duct tape. Next, attach a target face to the tarp using tape or staples. Your target is now ready for use!

3. What makes a reactive target different from a regular target?

A reactive target is designed to give off a visible or audible reaction when struck by an arrow, whereas a regular target simply provides a surface for the arrow to stick into. This can make practice more engaging and help improve accuracy and precision.

4. Can I customize the level of reactivity of the target?

Yes, you can customize the level of reactivity by adjusting the thickness and density of the foam used. Thicker and denser foam will provide a more reactive target, while thinner and less dense foam will have less of a reaction.

5. How long will a homemade reactive archery target last?

This will depend on how often the target is used and how well it is maintained. With proper care and storage, a homemade reactive archery target can last for several months to a year. However, it is recommended to periodically check the target for wear and tear and replace it when necessary.