Homeomorphisms with the discrete topology

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of assigning the discrete topology to sets with the same cardinality to make them homeomorphic. However, this raises questions about the purpose of finding topological invariants and the role of topology in determining the properties of a space.
Flying_Goat
Surely sets with the same cardinality are homeomorphic if we assign both of them the discrete topology. What's preventing us from doing that?

For example, (0,1) and (2,3) \cup (4,5) have the same cardinality. With the natural subspace topology they are not homeomorphic - as one is connected and the other isn't. However I could say that they are homeomorphic by assigning the discrete topology on both. Why can't we do that? Is it because that we would lose our intuition of 'continuous deformation' if we did this?

This may sound stupid but I can't seem to get my head around this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I would say:

Sometimes , from the context/situation, there is a natural topology that is assumed,

and this topology is not (equivalent to ) the discrete topology. You may think of

a subspace as being the restriction of the Euclidean topology. Sometimes you want

to make your topologies bigger or smaller to allow, e.g., for more compact sets--

which happens when your topology has fewer open sets-- or allowing more sequences

to converge (compactness has a lot of nice consequences ). So you adjust your choice

of topology to the needs of the situation. This

happens, e.g., in functional analysis; see weak topology, weak* topology, strong

topology, etc.

Also, if all your subspaces are pairwise- homeomorphic , then your theory becomes

too general to be interesting. Think that if you applied this idea to spaces in general,
Let me see if I can think of better examples/explanations. Maybe this can explain

better: http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7036258&tstart=90

and follow the links.

Flying_Goat said:
Surely sets with the same cardinality are homeomorphic if we assign both of them the discrete topology. What's preventing us from doing that?

For example, (0,1) and (2,3) \cup (4,5) have the same cardinality. With the natural subspace topology they are not homeomorphic - as one is connected and the other isn't. However I could say that they are homeomorphic by assigning the discrete topology on both. Why can't we do that? Is it because that we would lose our intuition of 'continuous deformation' if we did this?

This may sound stupid but I can't seem to get my head around this.

Thanks.

Yeah, everything is right. The two sets with the discrete topology are indeed homeomorphic.

Do you find this unintuitive?

I think the OP wants to know why one doesn't just choose to use the discrete

topology on all subspaces, which would make all subspaces pairwise homeomorphic.

Maybe the OP could clarify this ; I hope I did not misrepresent your question, OP,

and let me know otherwise.

micromass said:
Do you find this unintuitive?

Surely the disjoint interval (0,1) with the discrete topology is 'disconnected' by defintion, but intuitively it shouldn't be. What I am confused about is that the topological properties of a space changes as you change the topology - it is not an inherent property of the space. With the usual topologies, (0,1) and (2,3)\cup (4,5) are not homeomorphic, but they are with the discrete topology. By changing the topolgies, I can(probably) make their topological properties the same. So what is the point of finding topological invariants in the first place?

If X and Y are homeomorphic, it means that you can 'continuously deform' X into Y. Under what topology(s) would this 'continuous deformation' actually coincide with our intuitive notion of continuous deformation? Does it only happen when we assign the spaces with the normal euclidean subspace topology, as stated by Bacle?

Last edited:
The point is that you usually have fixed topologies on your spaces. So a topological invariant depends on both the space and the topology you give it. The same space with a different topology could very well have different invariants.

1. What is a homeomorphism with the discrete topology?

A homeomorphism with the discrete topology is a type of continuous function between two topological spaces. It is defined as a function that is both injective and surjective, and its inverse is also continuous. This type of homeomorphism preserves all topological properties, such as openness and closedness, of the original spaces.

2. How does the discrete topology differ from other topologies?

The discrete topology is the finest topology that can be defined on a given set. This means that it contains the most number of open sets compared to other topologies on the same set. In the discrete topology, every singleton (set containing only one element) is an open set. This is in contrast to other topologies, where the open sets may not necessarily be singletons.

3. What are the applications of homeomorphisms with the discrete topology?

Homeomorphisms with the discrete topology are commonly used in topology and functional analysis to study properties of topological spaces. They are also useful in abstract algebra, where they can be used to classify groups by their topological properties. In addition, they have applications in computer science, particularly in the field of data compression and coding theory.

4. Can a homeomorphism with the discrete topology be defined on any set?

Yes, a homeomorphism with the discrete topology can be defined on any set. This is because the discrete topology is the most general topology that can be defined on a set, and every set has at least one discrete topology. However, for infinite sets, the discrete topology may not always be the most useful or interesting topology to consider.

5. How are homeomorphisms with the discrete topology related to other types of homeomorphisms?

Homeomorphisms with the discrete topology are a special case of homeomorphisms in general. They are also related to other types of homeomorphisms, such as continuous bijections and topological isomorphisms. In fact, every homeomorphism with the discrete topology is also a continuous bijection, but the converse is not always true. This means that the discrete topology is a stricter condition for homeomorphisms compared to continuity alone.