How is a discrete topology a 0-manifold?

In summary, a discrete space is considered a 0-dimensional manifold because it meets the criteria of a topological manifold as a countable, Hausdorff, and locally euclidean space. This is because for a discrete space to be a manifold, each point in the space must have a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to R^n, with n representing the dimension of the manifold. A 0-dimensional Euclidean space is simply the empty set, and a homeomorphism between a discrete space and Euclidean space can be achieved by mapping each point in the discrete space to the empty set or all of R. Conversely, a countable discrete space meets the criteria for a topological manifold and can be considered a 0-manifold.
dumbQuestion
I am new to manifolds and I read the fact that any discrete space is a 0 dimensional manifold. I am having a hard time understanding why and feel this is very basic.

So to be a manifold, each point in the space should have a neighborhood about it that is homeomorphic to R^n. (and n will tell you what dimension the manifold is). To start, what is 0-dimension Euclidean space? Would this be just the empty set?

Now secondly I start to think about what a homeomorphism implies. It's a bijection between two topological spaces where each direction of the mapping is continuous. (so open sets in one map to open sets in the other). This is what makes it difficult for me to understand how a discrete space could be a manifold - how would you get a bijection between a discrete space and euclidean space? I can understand it in one direction by doing something trivial (like say, every set in the discrete space S maps to the empty set or all of R or something like that). But how do you get it in the other direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are using the definition of a topological manifold as a 2nd countable, Hausdorff, locally euclidean space then a topological space M is a 0 - manifold if and only if it is a countable discrete space. First, let M be a 0 - manifold (R^0 = {0} if that was your question btw). Let p be an element of M then there exists a homeomorphism f:U -> {0} where U is a neighborhood of p. f^-1({0}) must be an open singleton contained in U so f^-1({0}) = {p} is open in M. M has a countable basis and since each singleton in M is open, each is an element of the basis so M has countably many points thus M is a countable discrete space. Conversely, if M is a countable discrete space then M is Hausdorff and 2nd countable of course and for any p in M the map f:{p} -> {0} is a homeomorphism from a neighborhood of p to {0} so it is locally euclidean of dimension 0 thus a 0 - manifold.

Related to How is a discrete topology a 0-manifold?

1. What is a discrete topology?

A discrete topology is a type of topology, which is a mathematical concept used to describe the properties and relationships of sets. In a discrete topology, every subset of the set has its own unique open set, making every point in the set an isolated point.

2. How does a discrete topology differ from other topologies?

A discrete topology is different from other topologies because it is the most "fine" or "discrete" topology. This means that it has the most open sets, making it the most flexible and allowing for a lot of variation between points in the set.

3. What is a 0-manifold?

A 0-manifold is a type of manifold, which is a mathematical concept used to describe spaces that have a constant number of dimensions. A 0-manifold is a space that is made up of disconnected points and has no intrinsic notion of distance or direction between them.

4. How is a discrete topology a 0-manifold?

A discrete topology can be considered a 0-manifold because each point in the set is isolated, meaning that there is no way to travel from one point to another without leaving the set. This lack of connectivity between points is a defining characteristic of a 0-manifold.

5. What are some real-world examples of a discrete topology?

One example of a discrete topology is a computer network, where each computer is an isolated point and can communicate with other computers through a network. Another example is a set of coins, where each coin can be flipped individually and has no effect on the other coins. In general, any set with discrete and independent objects can be described using a discrete topology.