Calculating Energy from Nuclear Reactions: A Step-by-Step Guide

The units of c are meters per second, so your ΔE is currently in meters squared per second squared. To convert to kJ/mol, we need to convert Joules to kilojoules (kJ) and divide by the number of moles. In summary, the energy evolved for the given nuclear reaction of 400.0 g of radon-222 can be calculated as 5.22 x 10^14 kJ/mol. To convert the energy to kJ, we need to divide by the number of moles, which is 1.803 mol. This gives us a final energy per mole of 2.9 x 10^14 kJ/mol. Additionally, a Joule is a unit of measurement
xpsellia
1. It has been found by experiment that the molar mass of the Rn nucleotide is 221.9703 g and that of the Po nucleotide is 217.9630 g. The molar mass of helium is 4.00150 g. Given this information, and the information from the class, calculate the energy evolved, in kJ, for the following nuclear reaction of 400.0 g of radon-222.

2. ΔE = Δmc^2 where c is speed of light

# of mol (n) = mass/molar mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Δm = 221.9703 - (217.9630 + 4.00150)
= 5.8 x 10^-3

ΔE = 5.8 x 10^-3 (3.0 x 10^8)
= 1740000 J

n = 400.0/ 221.9703
= 1.803 mol

How do I get the energy to be kJ/mol? My teacher said the answer should be ---- x 10^8 kJ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math - you are off by c.

Oh yes sorry! I forgot to square c!

But then I ended up getting:
ΔE= 5.22 x 10^14

What do I do now with ΔE and the number of moles of radon to figure out the energy per mole in kJ?

If two apples cost $4, what is a price in dollars per apple?

Also, what is a Joule? Check your units.

What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in the formation of a new element or isotope. This can occur naturally or artificially, and involves changes in the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

What are some examples of nuclear reactions?

Some examples of nuclear reactions include fission, fusion, and radioactive decay. Fission is the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while fusion is the combination of two smaller nuclei to form a larger nucleus. Radioactive decay is the spontaneous breakdown of an unstable nucleus, resulting in the emission of radiation.

What is a nuclear reaction problem?

A nuclear reaction problem refers to a specific type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the changes in energy, mass, and particles during a nuclear reaction. These problems often require an understanding of nuclear physics and the use of equations such as the mass-energy equivalence equation (E=mc^2).

What factors can affect a nuclear reaction?

There are various factors that can affect a nuclear reaction, including the type of particles involved, the energy of the particles, and the stability of the nucleus. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements can also impact the rate and outcome of a nuclear reaction.

Why are nuclear reactions important?

Nuclear reactions have a wide range of applications and significance in various fields, including energy production, medicine, and scientific research. They also play a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and the universe as a whole.