Homogeneous Linear ODE with complex roots

And that is the same as, $$y_h (t)= C_1 e^{(-1+i)t}+C_2e^{(-1-i)t}$$where, ##C_1 = a + ib## and ##C_2 = a - ib##, right?In summary, we are trying to understand the simplification of the general solution for homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots. In the simplified solution, the imaginary terms lose the "i" coefficient. To ensure that i(C_1-C_2) and C_1 + C_2 are real, we must take C_2 = \bar C_1, the complex conjugate of C_1. This results in a simplified
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the simplification of the general solution for homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots.

Homework Equations

In my notes, i have the homogeneous solution given as:
[tex]y_h (t)= C_1 e^{(-1+i)t}+C_2e^{(-1-i)t}[/tex]
And the simplified solution is given as:
[tex]y_h (t)= A e^{-t}\cos t+Be^{-t}\sin t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, using Euler's formula, then I expanded each part individually before summing them all up:
[tex]C_1 e^{(-1+i)t}=C_1(e^{-t}(\cos t +i\sin t))=C_1e^{-t}\cos t +C_1e^{-t}i\sin t
\\C_2 e^{(-1-i)t}=C_1(e^{-t}(\cos t -i\sin t))=C_2e^{-t}\cos t -C_2e^{-t}i\sin t[/tex]
Now, adding these up, i just do not understand how the imaginary terms lose the "i" along the way. Can someone please clarify this part?

For the sake of completion, adding them up, i get:
[tex]C_1 e^{(-1+i)t}+C_2e^{(-1-i)t}
\\=C_1e^{-t}\cos t +C_1e^{-t}i\sin t+C_2e^{-t}\cos t -C_2e^{-t}i\sin t
\\=(C_1+C_2)e^{-t}\cos t + (C_1-C_2)e^{-t}i\sin t[/tex]where, [itex]A = (C_1+C_2)[/itex] and [itex]B=(C_1-C_2)[/itex]. However, the "i" coefficient of the sine term should not be there, according to the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have assumed that [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are real. They can be complex.

Let [itex]C_1 = a + ib[/itex] and [itex]C_2 = c + id[/itex] for real a, b, c, and d. What conditions must you impose so that [itex]i(C_1-C_2)[/itex] and [itex]C_1 + C_2[/itex] are real?

pasmith said:
You have assumed that [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are real. They can be complex.

Let [itex]C_1 = a + ib[/itex] and [itex]C_2 = c + id[/itex] for real a, b, c, and d. What conditions must you impose so that [itex]i(C_1-C_2)[/itex] and [itex]C_1 + C_2[/itex] are real?

Hi pasmith

The conditions for [itex]i(C_1-C_2)[/itex] and [itex]C_1 + C_2[/itex] to be real would be:
In the first case: a = c
and in the second case: b = -d

The combination of those 2 conditions would give, in the first case, [itex]i^22b[/itex] or [itex]-i^22d[/itex], meaning, -2b or 2d, and in the second case, 2a or 2c.

Is that correct? I'm not sure that i grasp the meaning of it all though. I have not been given any initial conditions, otherwise i could have tested the validity of your suggestion.

Last edited:
sharks said:
Hi pasmith

The conditions for [itex]i(C_1-C_2)[/itex] and [itex]C_1 + C_2[/itex] to be real would be:
In the first case: a = c
and in the second case: b = -d

Do you require [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] to be real? If so, the above shows that you must take [itex]C_2 = \bar C_1[/itex], the complex conjugate of [itex]C_1[/itex].

If you don't require [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] to be real, then you have simply [itex]A = C_1 + C_2[/itex] and [itex]B = i(C_1 - C_2)[/itex].

Usually what you do is create two new functions, let's say u(t) and v(t).

Let u(t) = y1 + y2 and v(t) = y1 - y2

You should also drop any multiplicative scalars you get and then your final real valued solution would be : y = c1u(t)+ c2v(t) for arbitrary constants c1 and c2

pasmith said:
Do you require [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] to be real? If so, the above shows that you must take [itex]C_2 = \bar C_1[/itex], the complex conjugate of [itex]C_1[/itex].

If you don't require [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] to be real, then you have simply [itex]A = C_1 + C_2[/itex] and [itex]B = i(C_1 - C_2)[/itex].

From what i understood, [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] means the homogeneous solution of the ODE, which indicates that the auxilliary equation must be equal to 0. Therefore, the free term or forcing function must be 0. There is no mention of a real or imaginary form of [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] anywhere in my notes, so i would assume that [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] has to be real?

In that case, if [itex]C_1 = a + ib[/itex], then [itex]C_2 = a - ib[/itex], meaning that ##A = 2a## and ##B = -i2b##

Continuing from the first post,
$$(C_1+C_2)e^{-t}\cos t + (C_1-C_2)e^{-t}i\sin t
\\=(2a)e^{-t}\cos t + (-i2b)e^{-t}i\sin t
\\=(2a)e^{-t}\cos t + (2b)e^{-t}\sin t$$
Is that correct? Is there anything missing at this point?

Zondrina said:
Usually what you do is create two new functions, let's say u(t) and v(t).

Let u(t) = y1 + y2 and v(t) = y1 - y2

You should also drop any multiplicative scalars you get and then your final real valued solution would be : y = c1u(t)+ c2v(t) for arbitrary constants c1 and c2

I have no idea what you mean by those 2 new functions. How is that related and used to solve the problem in the first post?

sharks said:
From what i understood, [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] means the homogeneous solution of the ODE, which indicates that the auxilliary equation must be equal to 0. Therefore, the free term or forcing function must be 0. There is no mention of a real or imaginary form of [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] anywhere in my notes, so i would assume that [itex]y_h(t)[/itex] has to be real?

In that case, if [itex]C_1 = a + ib[/itex], then [itex]C_2 = a - ib[/itex], meaning that ##A = 2a## and ##B = -i2b##

Continuing from the first post,
$$(C_1+C_2)e^{-t}\cos t + (C_1-C_2)e^{-t}i\sin t
\\=(2a)e^{-t}\cos t + (-i2b)e^{-t}i\sin t
\\=(2a)e^{-t}\cos t + (2b)e^{-t}\sin t$$
Is that correct? Is there anything missing at this point?
Close enough, but [itex]C_1 - C_2 = 2ib[/itex] so [itex]i(C_1 - C_2) = -2b[/itex].

OK, then in the simplified form of the homogeneous solution: $$y_h (t)= A e^{-t}\cos t+Be^{-t}\sin t$$where, ##A = 2a## and ##B = -2b##

Related to Homogeneous Linear ODE with complex roots

1. What is a homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots?

A homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that has complex numbers as its roots or solutions. This means that the solutions to the equation are complex-valued functions.

2. How can I identify if an ODE has complex roots?

An ODE has complex roots if the coefficients of the equation are complex numbers. Additionally, if the characteristic equation of the ODE has complex solutions, then the ODE will have complex roots.

3. Can I solve a homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots using the same methods as a regular ODE?

Yes, the same methods used to solve regular ODEs can be applied to homogeneous linear ODEs with complex roots. However, you will need to use complex algebra and the concept of complex conjugates to solve for the complex-valued solutions.

4. Are there any special cases or considerations when solving a homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots?

One special case is when the complex roots are conjugate pairs. In this case, the solutions will have a real part and an imaginary part, and you will need to use the cosine and sine functions to solve for the general solution. Additionally, you may need to use the initial conditions to determine the specific values of the constants in the solution.

5. Can a homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots have real-valued solutions?

No, a homogeneous linear ODE with complex roots will always have complex-valued solutions. However, if the coefficients of the equation happen to be real, then the imaginary parts of the solutions will cancel out, resulting in a real-valued solution.