Hong Kong or south China jobs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a nuclear physicist with 25 years of experience in the Canadian nuclear power industry finding job opportunities in Shenzhen or Hong Kong, China. The speaker suggests that teaching English may be a possible route, but not speaking Chinese could be a hindrance. They also mention the potential for international companies and the speaker's science expertise being valued in Hong Kong.
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I'm a nuclear physicist. 25 years experience in the Canadian nuclear power industry.

I met somebody who lives in Shenzhen, China. For those not geographically oriented, that is the city immediately to the north of Hong Kong. Problem is, I live in Canada. And I do not speak any sort of Chinese, never mind read/write it. And, while she does speak English, she does not want to leave SZ because she would lose the pension she has spent more than 20 years earning.

Are there any jobs for me in HK or SZ? How does one find them? Can a Canuck make this move?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might be able to get something teaching English that could lead to something else. I think it's hard to get a good job in China unless you have something to offer tech wise. There may be international companies that have placements in China that you could apply for but not speaking Chinese is an impediment there.

English is one of the official languages of Hong Kong which is literally right next to Shenzhen, you can maybe find a job in Hong Kong where quality of life is pretty good. I'm sure you're science expertise will be valued there as well,
-american born Chinese

1. What industries are most prevalent in Hong Kong and South China?

The most prevalent industries in Hong Kong and South China include finance, trade, manufacturing, and tourism. Hong Kong is known as a major financial center, while South China has a strong manufacturing base.

2. What qualifications are typically required for jobs in Hong Kong and South China?

Qualifications vary depending on the industry and specific job, but generally, a bachelor's degree and relevant work experience are required. Fluency in English and Chinese or Cantonese is also highly valued.

3. What is the cost of living like in Hong Kong and South China?

The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally higher than in South China. In Hong Kong, housing and food costs are particularly high, while in South China, transportation and healthcare costs may be higher. It's important to research and budget accordingly for the specific city and lifestyle.

4. Are there opportunities for international workers in Hong Kong and South China?

Yes, both Hong Kong and South China have a large expat community and welcome international workers. However, it's important to note that obtaining a work visa and navigating cultural differences may present challenges for some individuals.

5. What is the work culture like in Hong Kong and South China?

The work culture in Hong Kong and South China is generally fast-paced and competitive. Long working hours and a focus on results are common. However, there is also a strong emphasis on building relationships and networking in both regions.