Go to Hong Kong for PhD vs. stay in Europe for Masters

In summary: Then doing a PhD here might be the best decision for you.In summary, the physics student is considering whether to do a PhD now in Hong Kong or to wait and do a PhD in a more prestigious university. While the name of the university may not be as prestigious as some others, the student thinks that their work and accomplishments will outweigh the lack of name recognition.
jasonger
Hi everybody, I have been thinking about this topic for weeks, without getting a definitive answer...

I am a physics student in Heidelberg, Germany, just graduated with my Bachelor. I have worked on a research project in Hong Kong (from which I'll likely have my first publication) and have a chance to continue for a PhD there directly. The Prof is very well known in his field and I think is very supportive and the working environment is good. (Of course I also think the field is pretty cool). So generally it sounds like a very good plan to me, I also know several recent graduates from this group who got good post-doc or industry positions in Europe/Asia pretty soon.

However, the "name" of the university of course is not on par with the top schools in US/UK(/CAN).
If there are chances, I would like to stay in academia for a bit after a PhD, if not go industry at some point. Also, I would actually really like to move to Canada at some point in my life (best get permanent residency or citizenship over there). So I was wondering if doing this PhD now in HK would be a limiting factor to any of those career/life plans or if it would be better to stay in Germany for the Master and then get a PhD in Canada (but then of course, I would start from scratch).

I hear many different opinions, some say its good to get going with my academic career as soon as possible, especially if the Prof is well-known and I already can (co-)publish a paper there, some say the name of the uni is not a perfect starting point, people will prefer to hire from a Uni in Europe/North America.

My feeling was it probably does not matter so much as pro/con arguments are balanced, but I was wondering if anybody thinks there will be a huge difference for future career chances? Thanks for any opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to make a call on something like this. Generally, in my experience, a university's name doesn't seem to carry the weight that some people seem to ascribe to it. What tends to matter the most is what you accomplish during your PhD, as well as your supervisor's reputation and connections, not to mention your own ability to network. So you want to choose a PhD based on where you think you're going to perform well and accomplish the most.

That said, if your goal is eventually to come to Canada, doing a PhD here is more likely to generate an academic network here.

Likes jasonger and berkeman
Thanks for your reply, that already helped a lot!

So from your experience, its more about my work and accomplishments and network... However, I heard people saying that it is still possible to get a Post-Doc after a PhD in many places if you do good work. Is that always an option, or not knowing anyone (in Canada as example) would make it much harder to get to this point?

If you do good work, I don't think the fact that you're coming from a university in Hong Kong specifically would be much of a disadvantage. That said, it may be unlikely that people in Canada will have heard of the specific school, and there is an advantage to residing within the country in job competitions.

And just because you've already put in some time on a project there doesn't mean that you're going to be that much further ahead, if that's the driving factor for you. You're going to have to climb a learning curve for your PhD anyway. What would make the difference, for me, is if you really, really like this project and this professor and see a bright future for yourself in that work.

1. Should I go to Hong Kong for a PhD or stay in Europe for a Masters?

The answer to this question depends on your personal and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in academia, a PhD may be a better option as it provides a deeper level of specialization and research experience. However, if you are more interested in industry or gaining practical skills, a Masters may be a better choice. It is also important to consider factors such as cost, language barriers, and cultural differences when making this decision.

2. What are the differences in the education systems between Hong Kong and Europe?

The education systems in Hong Kong and Europe have some key differences. In Hong Kong, PhD programs are typically more structured and focused on research, while in Europe, Masters programs may offer a more diverse range of coursework and practical experiences. Additionally, the length of a PhD program in Hong Kong is usually shorter than in Europe, typically lasting around 3-4 years compared to 4-5 years in Europe.

3. Which option will provide better career opportunities?

Both options can provide excellent career opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your field of study and the specific programs you are considering. In general, a PhD from Hong Kong may open up more opportunities for academic positions or research roles, while a Masters from Europe may be more beneficial for industry positions. It is important to research the job market and potential career paths in your field before making a decision.

4. Will my degree be recognized internationally?

Yes, both a PhD from Hong Kong and a Masters from Europe are recognized internationally. However, it is always a good idea to research the specific reputation and recognition of the program and institution you are considering. Additionally, consider if you have any specific career aspirations that may require a degree from a certain country or region.

5. How does the cost of studying in Hong Kong compare to Europe?

The cost of studying in Hong Kong and Europe can vary greatly depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, tuition fees in Hong Kong may be lower than in Europe, but the cost of living may be higher. It is important to research the cost of living in both locations and consider any scholarships or funding opportunities that may be available to you.