Honor student thrown in jail and fined

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary: The first story says that Tran's parents divorced, "out of the blue, leaving the kids to fend for themselves." If that's true, then why wasn't there a custody hearing? And why isn't there more information given about the parents?
If the girl is an honours student, the idea of any form of punishment is a sign of the incompetence of the judge to follow the intent of the legislation, which he didn't read as is clear in #34 link from edward .
mathal

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I see no provision there for jail time, overnight or otherwise.

Its quite likely that she was simply detained. Sometimes when they arrest you for something as a minor they take you to a juvenile facility and hold you over night. I don't believe it is strictly mandatory unless something about the situation gives them the impression you ought not be sent on your way until they have made contact with your parents and investigated the situation further. Typically it is done as a scare tactic for offenders who have been picked up more than once but it is also done because many trouble kids have troubled home lives that may require looking into. It's possible that they were concerned with her living situation; that her parents were gone, she was living with other relatives, and apparently forced to work multiple jobs. And fines typically fall on the parents/guardians even if it is in her name.

This is based on living in CA though so it could be different there but these sorts of laws and policies are fairly standard across states.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Its quite likely that she was simply detained.
She was arrested and sentenced to 24 hours in jail, I don't see how you make a "simply detained" story out of that.

mathal said:
If the girl is an honours student, the idea of any form of punishment is a sign of the incompetence of the judge to follow the intent of the legislation, which he didn't read as is clear in #34 link from edward .
mathal
As a high school teacher, I do not take "honors student" or "taking honors classes" as any measure of scholastic aptitude or fortitude. I am not judging this student. I know nothing about this student, but I do know the emptiness of those accolades.

I also noticed that a friend states that she "stays up until 7 AM." That means she does not sleep. Her health was in danger. Ironically it seems that this Justice of the Peace (not "judge") has done her the best possible favor. Money is pouring in from all over the country. Perhaps now she can drop one of her jobs, get some rest and attend school. I'm happy for her.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
As a high school teacher, I do not take "honors student" or "taking honors classes" as any measure of scholastic aptitude or fortitude. I am not judging this student. I know nothing about this student, but I do know the emptiness of those accolades.

I also noticed that a friend states that she "stays up until 7 AM." That means she does not sleep. Her health was in danger. Ironically it seems that this Justice of the Peace (not "judge") has done her the best possible favor. Money is pouring in from all over the country. Perhaps now she can drop one of her jobs, get some rest and attend school. I'm happy for her.
Good points, imho. We didn't have honors classes where and when I went to high school, so I can't comment on that. But it does seem that the notoriety of this case might help the girl, who seems to be a good, well intentioned person from what I've read so far.

Monique said:
She was arrested and sentenced to 24 hours in jail, I don't see how you make a "simply detained" story out of that.

"Detained" is perhaps not the proper term but she was only held over night. As I stated that is pretty standard depending on the situation. Perhaps they only threw her in a cell and waited it out but generally speaking that is supposed to be opportunity for a social services worker to interview her and investigate her situation.

Apparently in the UK they potentially jail the parents of truants. How's that working out?

Chi Meson said:
Money is pouring in from all over the country. Perhaps now she can drop one of her jobs, get some rest and attend school. I'm happy for her.

This is true. Apparently, people have raised over $20,000 for Diane just this weekend.

And only one negative comment on the facebook page dedicated to raising money for her:

Why does the donate link not have a traditional https:// traditional secure designation?

On the other hand, at least there is a Judge Lanny Moriarty that serves in the same precinct as the school in the article, plus there's the website of Willis High School

Given that the website makes special mention of truancy laws, that they are the jurisdiction of the court and that the school has no control over them and the school appointed a new principal at a special meeting just a week before graduation, it sure looks like something rather strange happened there.

Last edited:
http://www.kansas.com/2012/05/31/2354580/charges-dropped-against-texas.html

This story was brought up elsewhere and I decided to look into some things that were said about it. Apparently Tran never told the court about why she was truant which may have led to the harsh sentence. The judge and AG have cleared her record since finding out about the rest of the circumstances surrounding her case.

ThomasT said:
Yeah, I've known a few judges who, imho, would have been more appropriately placed as, say, KMart or WalMart greeters.

IF you are speaking of America (specifically NY), I was shocked when I heard how judges are appointed there.

IIRC there is a minimum requirement of a HS diploma, but that's it. From there it is a strictly an appointment.

TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.kansas.com/2012/05/31/2354580/charges-dropped-against-texas.html

This story was brought up elsewhere and I decided to look into some things that were said about it. Apparently Tran never told the court about why she was truant which may have led to the harsh sentence. The judge and AG have cleared her record since finding out about the rest of the circumstances surrounding her case.

Over $100,000 raised. Well, now she has the best of all worlds: no record, international sympathy, and big bucks! Countdown to backlash: 3...2...1...

Chi Meson said:
Countdown to backlash: 3...2...1...
:smile: