Hooke's law and elastic deformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between elastic and plastic deformation in springs A and C. While spring A returns to its original shape after stress is removed, spring C shows permanent extension. The main struggle is completing the graph for spring C to continue from where spring A's line ends. Some ideas for completing the graph include starting with a line above the current line to account for spring C's longer original length and drawing a line curve to show its plastic and permanent deformation.
ravsterphysics
spring1.JPG

spring2.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that spring A shows elastic deformation since it returned to its original shape once the stress removed and spring c shows plastic deformation and has been permanently extended so it won't return to its original shape.

BUT, I'm struggling to complete the graph for spring C especially since they want it to continue from where the line of spring A ends...Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
ravsterphysics said:
View attachment 110628
View attachment 110629

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that spring A shows elastic deformation since it returned to its original shape once the stress removed and spring c shows plastic deformation and has been permanently extended so it won't return to its original shape.

BUT, I'm struggling to complete the graph for spring C especially since they want it to continue from where the line of spring A ends...Any ideas?
What are your ideas on how it looks?

Chestermiller said:
What are your ideas on how it looks?

i would have started by drawing a line above the current line since the original length for C is obviously longer than A but after that I'm not sure, but since it has been deformed plastically and permanently I guess I could draw a line curve showing this?

ravsterphysics said:
i would have started by drawing a line above the current line since the original length for C is obviously longer than A but after that I'm not sure, but since it has been deformed plastically and permanently I guess I could draw a line curve showing this?
The 3 springs are identical, so the line for spring C must start out superimposed on the line for spring A.

Last edited:

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material and the resulting deformation or change in shape of that material. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the elastic limit of the material is not exceeded.

2. What is elastic deformation?

Elastic deformation refers to the temporary change in shape of a material when a force is applied to it. This change is reversible, meaning that the material will return to its original shape once the force is removed. It is a characteristic of elastic materials, such as rubber or metal springs.

3. What is the elastic limit?

The elastic limit is the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand and still return to its original shape once the force is removed. Beyond this limit, the material will experience permanent deformation or may even break.

4. How is Hooke's law used in real life?

Hooke's law is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of springs, shock absorbers, and other mechanical structures. It is also used in materials testing to determine the strength and elasticity of different materials.

5. Is Hooke's law applicable to all materials?

No, Hooke's law is only applicable to elastic materials. Materials such as plastic or putty do not follow this law as they exhibit plastic deformation, meaning they do not return to their original shape after a force is applied.