Horizontal coefficient of restitution

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the vertical coefficient of restitution and the horizontal coefficient of restitution for a tennis ball. The vertical coefficient of restitution has already been calculated and found to be consistent with standard tennis balls. However, the method for calculating the horizontal coefficient of restitution is not mentioned in the textbook or lab manual. While there is some confusion regarding whether or not a horizontal coefficient of restitution exists, it can be obtained using the same method as the vertical coefficient of restitution, but using the horizontal components instead.
Psych Berry

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to determine the [vertical] coefficient of restitution of a tennis ball, and the horrizontal coefficient of restitution, and if possible produce an equation or ratio connecting the two.

Vertical CoR: 0.760
Constant x-component velocity: 0.853 m/s

Homework Equations

sqrt (h2/h1) = |v2/v1|

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already calculated the [vertical] coefficient of restitution, and googled to find out that my answer is consistent with that of standard tennis ball.
At this point I just don't know how to calculate the horrizontal CoR. My textbook and lab manual don't mention it, and I can't figure out what relationship they would have.
Can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I am told, the coefficient of restitution for when objects collide in two planes, is found by taking the ratio of the vertical component of the velocities. So I don't think there is such thing as a horizontal coefficient of restitution.

rock.freak667 said:
From what I am told, the coefficient of restitution for when objects collide in two planes, is found by taking the ratio of the vertical component of the velocities. So I don't think there is such thing as a horizontal coefficient of restitution.

Maybe that's true, my lab manual where the questions are stated is definitely not written by people with doctorates in physics. But that's merely terminology. It wouldn't change my question.

If there is no such thing as "horizontal coefficient of restitution" then what would the corresponding horizontal ratio be?

Thinking about it more I assume it would be based off the regular coefficient of restitution, since horizontal velocity is constant, therefore the distance traveled per bounce is a function of time, and the time of each bounce is dependent on the max height reached, which is in turn dependent on the CoR. But I don't know how to state that in an equation, or if I'm even on the right track.

hi rock.freak667! :smile:

yeah, I've never heard of it before either …

but I just googled it, and apparently it does exist (I couldn't be bothered to read about it though :rolleyes:)

tiny-tim said:
hi rock.freak667! :smile:

yeah, I've never heard of it before either …

but I just googled it, and apparently it does exist (I couldn't be bothered to read about it though :rolleyes:)

Well then, if it exists can anyone enlighten me as to how to obtain it?

Psych Berry said:
Well then, if it exists can anyone enlighten me as to how to obtain it?

Well according to http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~mfuhrer/course/spr02/AJP/AJP00482.pdf" , it seems that you obtain the horizontal coefficient of restitution the same way you get the vertical one. You just use the horizontal components instead of the vertical ones it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Horizontal coefficient of restitution

What is the horizontal coefficient of restitution?

The horizontal coefficient of restitution, also known as COR, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects when they are moving horizontally. It is a dimensionless quantity, usually represented by the symbol e, and ranges from 0 to 1.

How is the horizontal coefficient of restitution calculated?

The horizontal coefficient of restitution is calculated by taking the ratio of the final horizontal velocity of the objects after the collision to their initial horizontal velocity. In other words, it is the speed after collision divided by the speed before collision.

What factors affect the horizontal coefficient of restitution?

The horizontal coefficient of restitution is affected by several factors, such as the materials of the objects involved, their surface roughness, and the angle of impact. It is also influenced by external factors like temperature and air resistance.

What does a high horizontal coefficient of restitution indicate?

A high horizontal coefficient of restitution indicates that the collision between the objects is highly elastic, meaning the objects bounce off each other with minimal loss of energy. This is often observed in materials like rubber or steel.

Why is the horizontal coefficient of restitution important?

The horizontal coefficient of restitution is important in understanding the behavior of objects in collisions and predicting their motion. It is also a critical parameter in sports like billiards and tennis, where the rebound of objects is a key aspect of the game.