Horizontal Distance up Incline

In summary: Try again.No, you break it into separate x and y components. You started off right in your first attempt but didn't finish it for some reason. Try again.In summary, a spring with a spring constant of 1000 N/m is compressed and launches a block with a mass of 200 g on a frictionless surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.15. To find the horizontal distance covered by the block in the air, the equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, and work are used. The acceleration of the block is calculated using the given values and the speed at the top is found to be 12.03 m/s. To find the horizontal distance, the time for the block to reach the
aa2114

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant = 1000 N/m is compressed 0.20 m then launches a block of mass 200 g. The horizontal surface is frictionless and the coefficient of kinetic friction with the inline is 0.15.
What horizontal distance does the block cover while in the air after it takes off at the top of the incline?
(diagram attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

deltaK + deltaUg + deltaUs = 0
(1/2mv^2f -1/2mv^2i) + 0 + (1/2kx^2f - 1/2kx^2i) = 0
1/2mv^2f = 1/2kx^2i

v = sqrt(kx^2/m)
v = 14.14 m/s

Distance up incline:

x = 2.5m/sin50
=3.264 m

Acceleration:
-mgsin0 - ukmgcos0 = ma
a = -gsin50-(0.15)(-9.81)cos50
a = 6.562

Speed at the top:
v^2 = vi^2 +2ad
v = sqrt[14.14^2 + 2(6.562)(3.264)]
v = 15.58 m/s

I'm not sure what the next step would be (also not sure if the above steps are correct).
To find horizontal distance covered would I have to find the horizontal time and then using speed = distance/time solve for distance?

Thanks =]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 12.18.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 12.18.18 PM.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
How can the speed at the top be greater than the speed at the bottom?

paisiello2 said:
How can the speed at the top be greater than the speed at the bottom?
Oops I think I got some of the signs wrong

Acceleration:
-mgsin0 - ukmgcos0 = ma
a = -gsin50-(0.15)(9.81)cos50
a = -8.456 m/s^2

so velocity at the top:
v^2 = vi^2 +2ad
v = 14.14^2 + 2(-8.452)(3.264)
v = 12.03 m/s

OK, much better.

Your idea to find the horizontal distance might not work as you stated it. Can you try something else along the same idea?

paisiello2 said:
OK, much better.

Your idea to find the horizontal distance might not work as you stated it. Can you try something else along the same idea?
At max height v = 0
Time to reach max height:
t = visin0/g
t = 12.03sin50/9.81
t = 0.9394 seconds

x= xo + vit
x = 0 + (12.03)(0.9394)
x = 11.3 m

Good try but you made two mistakes:
1) The time t you calculated is only the time for the block to reach the maximum height. What about the time it takes to come back down?
2) What direction is vi going in?

paisiello2 said:
Good try but you made two mistakes:
1) The time t you calculated is only the time for the block to reach the maximum height. What about the time it takes to come back down?
2) What direction is vi going in?

Would I have to find the time of flight for the whole range of the parabola first?
time of flight:
y = yo + 1/2gt^2
2.5 = 0 + 1/2(9.81)t^2
t = 0.7143 s

Horizontal distance:
x= xo + vit
x = 0 + (12.03)(0.7143)
x = 8.6 m

No, you break it into separate x and y components. You started off right in your first attempt but didn't finish it for some reason.

1. What is horizontal distance up incline?

Horizontal distance up incline refers to the distance traveled horizontally along an inclined surface, such as a ramp or hill. It is the measure of how far an object has moved along the surface, without taking into account any vertical distance traveled.

2. How is horizontal distance up incline calculated?

To calculate horizontal distance up incline, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves measuring the length of the incline (the hypotenuse) and the height of the incline (the vertical side). The horizontal distance can then be calculated using the formula a² + b² = c², where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are the other two sides.

3. Can horizontal distance up incline be greater than the actual distance traveled?

No, horizontal distance up incline can never be greater than the actual distance traveled. This is because the horizontal distance only takes into account the movement along the surface, and does not consider any vertical distance traveled. The actual distance traveled will always be equal to or greater than the horizontal distance.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the horizontal distance up incline?

The angle of the incline does affect the horizontal distance up incline. As the angle of the incline increases, the horizontal distance traveled will decrease. This is because a steeper incline will require more vertical movement, resulting in a shorter horizontal distance.

5. Why is horizontal distance up incline important in science?

Horizontal distance up incline is important in science because it is used to calculate the work done by a force on an inclined surface. It is also used in calculating the mechanical advantage and efficiency of simple machines, such as ramps and inclined planes. Understanding horizontal distance up incline is essential in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and architecture.