Horizontal force on glued surfaces

In summary: To isolate the effects of tension only, you could try rotating the setup about the x-axis (assuming the sheet is horizontal). Alternatively, you could use a tensile tester that only applies tension to the assembly.In summary, to find the maximum tensile strength in a horizontal pull of 2000kg, you can:-Rotate the setup about the x-axis-Use a tensile tester that only applies tension to the assembly
Hubert96
I am conducting tensile test on a bigger scale. When the material breaks i have the maximum kilograms that can be a applied to the material. I pull horizontal in a rubber patches glued to a rubber sheet and i want to find the maximum tensile strength in the glue. How do i convert my 2000 kg pull to MPa if the pull is done horizontal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
A weight of 2000 kg represents a force of F = 2000 * 9.8 = 19600 Newton.
Find the area of the glue patch, a, in m².
The pressure is then; F / a pascal.
1 MPa = 1 000 000. Pa

If you are pulling the patch away from the sheet it is tensile strength.
If you are pulling the patch along the sheet it is shear strength.
Take care that the flexibility of the sheet does not permit a tear to propagate, like peeling a label from a surface. In that case a lower force is needed because the area is reduced to a line.

Likes Hubert96
Thank you for the answer, very helpful. :)

one more thing. Since the pull directions is horizontal is it then correct to multiply the kg with 9,8. I assume that is the acceleration due to the gravity?

Force = mass * acceleration.
A mass on Earth generates a force of; F = m·g
The scales you measure the force of 2000 kg with, were calibrated to read mass on the Earth's surface. Your force of 2000 kg is multiplied by 9.8 to convert it to force in Newtons. That is independent of orientation.

I assume your rubber sheet is also horizontal and you are measuring shear. You have not clearly specified the orientation of your test piece, which is why I explained the difference between shear and tensile forces.

Hubert96 said:
I pull horizontal in a rubber patches glued to a rubber sheet and i want to find the maximum tensile strength in the glue. How do i convert my 2000 kg pull
Wow, you have a rubber sheet that is withstanding a 2000kg (2kN? 19.6kN?) pull? Can you post a picture of the setup?

Likes Lnewqban
Since patch and sheet will tend to deform under that horizontal load, you may have a combination of tension and shear loads acting simultaneously on the assembly.

Likes gmreit

1. What is horizontal force on glued surfaces?

The horizontal force on glued surfaces refers to the amount of force that is applied parallel to the surface of two materials that have been joined together with adhesive. This force can either be pulling the materials apart or pushing them together.

2. How is horizontal force on glued surfaces measured?

Horizontal force on glued surfaces is typically measured using a force gauge or dynamometer. These instruments can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to the glued surfaces and can help determine the strength of the bond between the materials.

3. What factors can affect the horizontal force on glued surfaces?

The strength and type of adhesive used, the surface area of the materials being joined, and the amount of time the adhesive has had to cure can all affect the horizontal force on glued surfaces. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the type of materials being joined can also play a role.

4. How does the horizontal force on glued surfaces impact the strength of the bond?

The amount of horizontal force on glued surfaces can directly impact the strength of the bond between the materials. If the force is too great, it can cause the bond to fail and the materials to separate. However, if the force is within the limits of the adhesive's strength, it can help strengthen the bond by evenly distributing the load.

5. How can the horizontal force on glued surfaces be reduced?

The horizontal force on glued surfaces can be reduced by using a stronger adhesive, increasing the surface area of the materials being joined, and allowing the adhesive to cure for a longer period of time. Additionally, properly preparing the surfaces and ensuring they are clean and dry before applying the adhesive can also help reduce the force required to create a strong bond.