Horizontal propagated movement of mechanical wave

In summary, a hand can induce a transverse wave in a string by periodically moving up and down, causing the string to move in a similar pattern. This movement propagates through the string and produces a series of wavefronts that move horizontally towards a fixed wall at a velocity v. The reason for this horizontal propagation can be explained by considering the forces in a string. When a hand moves the string up and down, the forces acting on different sections of the string cause it to move in a wavelike pattern rather than simply following the hand's vertical movement. This can be demonstrated by moving the hand holding the string straight up and down, which does not result in the entire string moving in the same direction.
bolzano95

Homework Statement

A hand induces a transverse wave in a string by periodically moving up and down. This causes the string to move up and down. This movement propagates through the string producing a series of wavefronts which move towards the fixed wall with a velocity v.

How do we physically explain why is this movement propagated horizontally? I was asked this on exam and didn't know. My professor later explained to me that it has to do with forces in a string, but I didn't quite understand him.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking for explanation, but couldn't find it. It seems everyone takes this for granted, but I'm really interested in physical explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reason it out. If you move your hand holding the string straight up and down, does the entire string move straight up and down in concert with your hand? Why not?

1. What is the definition of horizontal propagated movement of mechanical wave?

The horizontal propagated movement of mechanical wave refers to the motion of a wave in a horizontal direction, such as from left to right or right to left, as it travels through a medium.

2. How does a mechanical wave propagate horizontally?

Mechanical waves propagate horizontally through the transfer of energy from particle to particle in the medium. As each particle vibrates, it transfers its energy to the next particle, causing a chain reaction that results in the wave moving in a horizontal direction.

3. What are some examples of mechanical waves that propagate horizontally?

Some examples of mechanical waves that propagate horizontally include sound waves, seismic waves, and ocean waves. These waves all involve the transfer of energy through a medium in a horizontal direction.

4. How does the amplitude of a mechanical wave affect its horizontal propagation?

The amplitude of a mechanical wave, which is the maximum displacement of a particle in the medium, can affect its horizontal propagation by determining how far the wave travels in the horizontal direction. A larger amplitude will result in a wave that travels farther horizontally, while a smaller amplitude will result in a wave that travels a shorter distance.

5. What factors can affect the speed of horizontal propagated mechanical waves?

The speed of horizontal propagated mechanical waves can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the medium (such as density and elasticity), the frequency of the wave, and the amplitude of the wave. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the medium can also affect the speed of mechanical waves.