Hot Threads linking to closed thread

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter member 656954
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Hot Links generator and whether it should be configured to ignore locked out threads. The suggestion is made to tweak it and the participants also talk about their enjoyment of perusing old threads and the difference between "Related Threads" and "Hot Threads". They also mention the quality of posts in these threads and how thoughtful posters tend to post more slowly.
member 656954
Just wondering whether the Hot Links generator shouldn't be configured to ignore locked out threads, as per the example from just now, because from what I've seen, being closed to new posts usually means the content has broken the PF rules.

Attachments

• HotLink.png
    HotLink.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
I love peruseing those old threads! I'm talking about the "Related Threads" at the bottom.

NTL2009 said:
I'm talking about the "Related Threads" at the bottom

I enjoy those as well, and because they have the date and locked / unlocked symbol, my expectation is different to a 'Hot Thread', which I expect to at least be able to participate in - assuming I'm able, there's a lot of posts where I've no idea what's being discussed 😄

In both Classical and Relativity, at least three of the five "hot" threads are really low quality. Someone refusing to learn and simply restating how wrong everyone else is, or iterating "...well what about <slightly modified scenario>?" can generate a lot of posts very quickly. Thoughtful posters tend to post more slowly because they think before they type.

Likes Wrichik Basu

What is a "Hot Thread"?

A "Hot Thread" is a term used to describe a discussion or conversation on a forum or message board that has received a high level of activity and engagement from users. It is often characterized by a large number of replies and views, and can also refer to a topic that is currently trending or popular among the community.

What does "linking to closed thread" mean?

"Linking to closed thread" refers to a situation where a discussion thread or topic has been closed by a moderator or administrator, but other threads or posts continue to reference or link to it. This can happen when a thread is deemed to be no longer relevant or violates the forum's rules, but users may still be discussing or referencing it in other threads.

Why are "Hot Threads linking to closed thread" important?

"Hot Threads linking to closed thread" can be important for several reasons. They can provide insight into popular or controversial topics within a community, and can also help moderators and administrators identify threads that may need further attention or moderation. Additionally, these threads may contain valuable information or discussions that users may want to reference or access in the future.

How are "Hot Threads linking to closed thread" identified?

"Hot Threads linking to closed thread" are typically identified by forum software or moderators through algorithms or manual monitoring. The software may track the number of views, replies, and mentions of a particular thread, while moderators may actively search for and monitor threads that have been closed but are still being referenced or linked to by other users.

Can "Hot Threads linking to closed thread" be reopened?

In most cases, "Hot Threads linking to closed thread" cannot be reopened. Once a thread has been closed by a moderator or administrator, it is typically considered to be a final decision. However, if there is a valid reason or request from the community, moderators may consider reopening the thread or creating a new discussion on the same topic.