Hot water circulator, kitchen faucet, ? mixing

In summary, the conversation is about a new construction house with a hot water circulating pump and a kitchen faucet with multiple valves for flow and temperature control. The plumber believes that the main valve being left on can cause mixing of hot and cold water, but the poster disagrees and suggests using a Doppler ultrasound machine to check for flow. The conversation also touches on the design and quality of the KWC Systema model faucet.
AceCannon
http://kwcamerica.com/-hansa/images/product/10_501_134_480.jpg

Obviously, I am a newb here, so thanks for reading my (probably simplistic) question. I've done a bunch of searching of the forums and didn't see what I was after.

We recently moved into our new construction house which is configured with a hot water circulating pump. The idea being that a loop of pipe runs through the house and a small volume of hot water is always there circulating. When you turn on any hot faucet, the distance the hot water has to travel is just from the nearest point on the circuit, so BAM you get quick hot water.

My plumber was eying our kitchen faucet dubiously the other day. A KWC Systema model (http://kwcamerica.com/-hansa/doc/technical/specsheet/10.501.134%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf" ), it has a regular spout and a pre-rinse retractable spray head. Beast of a faucet. Solid, heavy metal thing. There is one valve that controls flow AND temperature. It's is kinda hard to tell on the pic above, but a second valve on the base of the regular spout controls the flow rate to that spout only. (The spec sheet has a clear drawing of this) A third valve on the handle of the prerinse spray head is for the sprayer only. SO - we have been leaving the main valve on, to whatever temperature we need for awhile, and just turning the water on and off with the other two (non-temp) valves. The plumber says mixing is going on the whole time the main valve is on, even though the two other flow controls are off.

Sounds like BS to me. The pressure in the whole house (hot and cold) ought to be the same when all faucets are off. The same supply line feeds the hot water heater and the cold pipes. I do not know if the faucet includes one-way valves (? check valves). But it seems to me the only downside of our method is a bit of heat exchange right at the interface between the two pipes in the kitchen faucet valve where they come together.

Any advice or opinions? I've thought about using a medical-grade Doppler ultrasound machine to look for evidence of flow (I cannot hear any water running in the pipes), but I don't know how well sound will move through these pipes, if at all. (Most of the piping in the house is plastic, not copper).

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump.

So perhaps I should have put this in a different subforum.

AceCannon said:
The plumber says mixing is going on the whole time the main valve is on, even though the two other flow controls are off.
Where does he think the mixed water is going? It has to go somewhere and if it isn't coming out a faucet, then water can't be moving anywhere except around the loop - which has to be a constant volume.

AceCannon said:
http://kwcamerica.com/-hansa/images/product/10_501_134_480.jpg

Obviously, I am a newb here, so thanks for reading my (probably simplistic) question. I've done a bunch of searching of the forums and didn't see what I was after.

We recently moved into our new construction house which is configured with a hot water circulating pump. The idea being that a loop of pipe runs through the house and a small volume of hot water is always there circulating. When you turn on any hot faucet, the distance the hot water has to travel is just from the nearest point on the circuit, so BAM you get quick hot water.

My plumber was eying our kitchen faucet dubiously the other day. A KWC Systema model (http://kwcamerica.com/-hansa/doc/technical/specsheet/10.501.134%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf" ), it has a regular spout and a pre-rinse retractable spray head. Beast of a faucet. Solid, heavy metal thing. There is one valve that controls flow AND temperature. It's is kinda hard to tell on the pic above, but a second valve on the base of the regular spout controls the flow rate to that spout only. (The spec sheet has a clear drawing of this) A third valve on the handle of the prerinse spray head is for the sprayer only. SO - we have been leaving the main valve on, to whatever temperature we need for awhile, and just turning the water on and off with the other two (non-temp) valves. The plumber says mixing is going on the whole time the main valve is on, even though the two other flow controls are off.

Sounds like BS to me. The pressure in the whole house (hot and cold) ought to be the same when all faucets are off. The same supply line feeds the hot water heater and the cold pipes. I do not know if the faucet includes one-way valves (? check valves). But it seems to me the only downside of our method is a bit of heat exchange right at the interface between the two pipes in the kitchen faucet valve where they come together.

Any advice or opinions? I've thought about using a medical-grade Doppler ultrasound machine to look for evidence of flow (I cannot hear any water running in the pipes), but I don't know how well sound will move through these pipes, if at all. (Most of the piping in the house is plastic, not copper).

That faucet is really too good, I have fallen in love with the design of it. It looks so fresh and happening. This is the type of design which is in more demand in the market. People love these types of new designs, the quality also looks good which is also equally important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this one (also from KWC) better, but the wife put the kibosh on it, said it was too tall.

31wFfkjISNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. What does a hot water circulator do?

A hot water circulator is a device that is installed under a sink or near a water heater to continuously circulate hot water through the plumbing system. This allows for instant hot water at any faucet or shower in the house, without having to wait for the water to heat up.

2. How does a hot water circulator work?

A hot water circulator works by using a pump to continuously circulate hot water through the plumbing system. The pump is usually controlled by a timer or a thermostat, which turns the pump on when the water temperature drops below a certain level. This ensures that hot water is always available at any faucet or shower in the house.

3. What is the purpose of a kitchen faucet?

A kitchen faucet is a fixture that provides a source of water for washing dishes, preparing food, and other kitchen tasks. It typically consists of a spout, handles, and a sprayer, and can come in various styles and finishes to match the kitchen decor.

4. Can a hot water circulator be installed with any kitchen faucet?

Yes, a hot water circulator can be installed with any kitchen faucet as long as there is a hot water supply line available. However, it is recommended to consult with a plumber before installation to ensure compatibility and proper installation.

5. What is the purpose of mixing hot and cold water at the faucet?

Mixing hot and cold water at the faucet allows for a comfortable water temperature for washing hands, dishes, and other tasks. It also helps to conserve hot water and energy, as less hot water is needed when it is mixed with cold water.