How can I achieve homogeneous in-line mixing of a Coolant with water?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a new product that involves topping-up or refilling liquid into a CNC machine or part washer. The chemical (alkaline with a pH range of 8-12) needs to be mixed with water in a ratio of 1:50. Both liquids will be controlled by flow sensors and valves. The challenge is to achieve a homogeneous mixture using in-line methods without an additional tank and agitator. Suggestions for a solution include using a mixing nozzle or injection quill. A link to a supplier for disposable mixers is provided, along with search suggestions for 2-part mixers and inline mixing nozzles.
kunalvanjare
Hello guys,

This is for a new product I am designing, which involves topping-up or refilling the liquid into a CNC Machine or Part Washer.

I have to mix about a Litre of the chemical (alkaline.. pH in the range of 8-12) with about 50 Litres of water. The water will be fed under gravity through a 1" pipe, while the chemical will be pumped using a Metering or Gear pump either from a Chemical Barrel or a Tank.

Flow-rate of both the chemicals will be controlled with the help of flow sensors & valves because the system has to automatically calculate the quantity of each liquid as per inputs from the user.

Now, my question is how do I achieve mixing of both the chemicals to produce a homogeneous mixture? The objective is to do this in-line without use of an additional Tank & Agitator. I have pondered about using a Static Mixer or an Injection Quill, but I am not convinced I'll get a homogeneous mixture from these.

I simply cannot afford space for an external mixing tank as the output of my 'Dispenser' will be connected straight to the machine.

Request somebody with prior experience on similar fields to suggest or guide me towards a solution.

Thanks,
KV

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Bystander

1. What is the purpose of achieving homogeneous in-line mixing of a coolant with water?

The purpose of achieving homogeneous in-line mixing of a coolant with water is to ensure that the two substances are evenly distributed and mixed together. This is important for maintaining consistent cooling and preventing hot spots or uneven temperature distribution.

2. What factors affect the achievement of homogeneous in-line mixing?

There are several factors that can affect the achievement of homogeneous in-line mixing, including the flow rate of the coolant and water, the design of the mixing system, and the properties of the coolant and water, such as viscosity and density.

3. How can I determine the appropriate flow rate for achieving homogeneous in-line mixing?

The appropriate flow rate for achieving homogeneous in-line mixing can be determined by conducting experiments or simulations to find the optimal ratio of coolant to water and the corresponding flow rates for each substance. It is important to also consider the design of the mixing system and any potential limitations.

4. Are there any specific techniques or equipment that can help achieve homogeneous in-line mixing?

Yes, there are various techniques and equipment that can aid in achieving homogeneous in-line mixing. These include using static mixers, which use a series of baffles and channels to promote mixing, or using pumps with adjustable flow rates to control the mixing process. Additionally, proper design and placement of the mixing system can also play a significant role.

5. How can I ensure that the achieved homogeneous in-line mixing is maintained over time?

To ensure that the achieved homogeneous in-line mixing is maintained over time, it is important to regularly monitor and adjust the flow rates and mixing system as needed. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the system can also help prevent any buildup or blockages that may affect the mixing process.