How a laser resonator generates the standing wave?

In summary, an optical resonator can generate a standing wave by using a specific wavelength that is resonant at the cavity.
Basov
Hi, guys. I'm interrest in the question about how optical (laser) resonator can generates the standing wave? As i know, there is a condition that the resonator base (lenght between two mirrors) should be multiple to the length of the wave. (L=k*(lamda/2)). But in practice no one never measures the distance between the mirrors of the resonator when creating the laser system. So i would like to ask you, how actually laser resonator can generates the standing wave without the measuring the distance between two mirrors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basov said:
Hi, guys. I'm interrest in the question about how optical (laser) resonator can generates the standing wave? As i know, there is a condition that the resonator base (lenght between two mirrors) should be multiple to the length of the wave. (L=k*(lamda/2)). But in practice no one never measures the distance between the mirrors of the resonator when creating the laser system. So i would like to ask you, how actually laser resonator can generates the standing wave without the measuring the distance between two mirrors?
The frequency will adjust itself slightly so that a whole number of wavelengths fit in the resonator.

How can "frequency adjust itself"? How this process called?

Ok, i specify the question. Can you write the condition in which the optical resonator generates the standing wave? According to the wikipedia "an optical cavity is an arrangement of mirrors that forms a standing wave". Is it mean that any pair of 2 or more mirrors (which forms different types of the optical resonators) gives the standing wave in the output beam?

I almost realize the idea of generating the standing wave in optical resonator. The main concept is that the reflected and falling light beams must propagates towards each other. So the fabry-perot interferometer makes the standing wave, but ring resonator is don't make the SW. Am I right??

I understand it this way. You don't need standing waves, but you need a certain wavelength for interaction at each end. This allows for multiple journeys back and forth which increases the chances of photons escaping at that wavelength.
(Just noticed... my 1000th post!)

Likes berkeman

1. How does a laser resonator generate a standing wave?

Laser resonators use a combination of mirrors and lenses to create a cavity where light can bounce back and forth and amplify itself, resulting in a standing wave.

2. What is the purpose of a laser resonator in generating a standing wave?

The laser resonator is responsible for creating a stable and intense standing wave, which is necessary for producing a coherent and powerful laser beam.

3. How do the mirrors in a laser resonator contribute to the generation of a standing wave?

The mirrors in a laser resonator are designed to reflect light back and forth, creating a feedback loop that amplifies the light and forms a standing wave.

4. What role does the length of the laser resonator play in generating a standing wave?

The length of the laser resonator is crucial in determining the wavelength of the standing wave. A longer resonator will result in a longer wavelength, while a shorter resonator will produce a shorter wavelength.

5. Are there other factors besides the mirrors and length that affect the generation of a standing wave in a laser resonator?

Yes, the quality and alignment of the mirrors, as well as the type and intensity of the laser pump, can also affect the generation of a standing wave in a laser resonator.