How age and experience matter when getting a job?

In summary, the individual is 31 years old and about to enter their second year of a 3-year BEng mechanical engineering degree. They already have a diploma in marine engineering and one year of experience as a junior engineer on ocean-going ships. The individual is wondering if the one year of experience on ships is relevant to their mechanical experience and if their age will affect their job prospects. The interviewer is more likely to value practical experience for individuals over the age of 30, and having both education and experience will make the individual stand out in the job market.
Milinda nuwan
I'm 31 years old & going to enter into 2nd year of BEng mech. Degree which has 3 years.I already have diploma in marine engineering & have sailed on ocen going ships for 1 year as junior engineer.Is the first is better? (1.Is 1 year experience on ships can relate to mechanical experience?
2.does the age matters since i have 1 year experience on a shop and i will be around 33 when i complete my degree?)
Your valuable response is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interviewer is more likely to be interested in actual experience if you are over 30,

It doesn’t really matter which is better since you have both! I would certainly highlight both because the education will set you apart from those that have only experience and the experience will set you apart from those that have only education.

Likes Tom.G and phinds

1. How does age affect job opportunities?

Age can affect job opportunities in a few ways. Some employers may have biases against hiring older workers, assuming they have less energy or are less adaptable to new technologies. However, age can also bring valuable experience and skills to a job, making older workers desirable candidates. It ultimately depends on the individual and the specific industry or job.

2. Do employers prefer younger or older workers?

There is no one answer to this question as it varies by employer and industry. Some employers may prefer younger workers for their energy and potential for long-term growth within the company. Others may value the experience and reliability of older workers. Ultimately, employers should focus on finding the best candidate for the job, regardless of age.

3. How can older workers compete with younger candidates in the job market?

Older workers can compete with younger candidates by highlighting their years of experience, depth of knowledge, and valuable skills. They can also showcase their adaptability and willingness to learn new things, as well as their strong work ethic and reliability. Networking and continuing education can also help older workers stay current and competitive in the job market.

4. Is age discrimination illegal in the hiring process?

Yes, age discrimination is illegal in the hiring process in the United States. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals aged 40 or older in hiring, firing, promotions, and other employment decisions. However, proving age discrimination can be difficult, and it is important for individuals to know their rights and be aware of any potential red flags during the hiring process.

5. How important is experience when applying for a job?

Experience is often one of the key factors employers consider when evaluating job candidates. It shows that an individual has the necessary skills and knowledge to perform the job effectively. However, experience is not the only factor and other qualities such as education, personality, and potential can also be important. It ultimately depends on the specific job and the preferences of the employer.