How are atoms combined with the body?

• Thread starter Razorvox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Body
In summary: The "inner life" animation is the highlight there. It includes depictions of molecular structures in the...cell, as well as depictions of the cell membrane and how proteins are synthesized and exported.
Razorvox
EDIT: "In what fashion are atoms or molecules added to a body, then attached, how exactly do they get replaced?"

http://imgur.com/pmR8RB9 (I realize atoms are much smaller)

Sorry for the crudity of my drawing but I think you get the general idea. I can't picture what happens?

I believe they stay together through some sort of ionic bonding where electrons are gained and traded, magnetic I suppose. Atoms, as I understand, bond into molecules.

But what in the world happens for the atom or molecules to get to all these places in the body, what movements, a shifting?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
atoms share electrons with other atoms to create molecules. biological systems construct very lengthy molecules like proteins and dna and rna strands that roll up into more compact structures that bond with others to create cells and tissue...

jedishrfu said:
atoms share electrons with other atoms to create molecules. biological systems construct very lengthy molecules like proteins and dna and rna strands that roll up into more compact structures that bond with others to create cells and tissue...
WOW, that was a fast reply! I'm starting to understand this better, but I still don't understand how they come and go, like a layered shifting? Perhaps my thinking of it is incorrect. Blood carries nutrients as well as absorption I believe, but the latter confuses me.

This might best be explained via video:

of how a virus is absorbed into a cell and inserts itself into the cell mechanisms. think of cells are factories that make proteins that maintain the biological system and the virus coopts the factory ala hostile takeover and manufactures itself before the body can stop it.

Razorvox said:
WOW, that was a fast reply! I'm starting to understand this better, but I still don't understand how they come and go, like a layered shifting? Perhaps my thinking of it is incorrect. Blood carries nutrients as well as absorption I believe, but the latter confuses me.
The basic building block of a body is the cell. As you are well aware, there are many types of cells in the body, with general names such as skin, heart, brain, liver, bone, cartilage, red blood, white blood, hair, fat, nerve, as only part of the list. A cell, be it that of a single celled organism such as an ameoba, or of a multicellular organsim such as in animals or plants needs nutrients and use energy to survive. The cell can be considered to be of 3 parts - a nucleus which holds the DNA, the cytoplasm which uses the nutrients and energy, and the surrounding cell membrane through which nutrients enter and waste products exit. The blood carries the nutrients to the cells and removes the waste products,

Cell will divide by cell division or mitosis, wherby one cell becomes two.
In the picture of the skin which you showed, new epidermis cells are always dividing in the lower layers, pushing the older cells upwards to the surface, where the dead ones are being flaked off. In a sense, your epidermis is always being re-juvinated.

Likes Torbjorn_L
256bits said:
The basic building block of a body is the cell. As you are well aware, there are many types of cells in the body, with general names such as skin, heart, brain, liver, bone, cartilage, red blood, white blood, hair, fat, nerve, as only part of the list. A cell, be it that of a single celled organism such as an ameoba, or of a multicellular organsim such as in animals or plants needs nutrients and use energy to survive. The cell can be considered to be of 3 parts - a nucleus which holds the DNA, the cytoplasm which uses the nutrients and energy, and the surrounding cell membrane through which nutrients enter and waste products exit. The blood carries the nutrients to the cells and removes the waste products,

Cell will divide by cell division or mitosis, wherby one cell becomes two.
In the picture of the skin which you showed, new epidermis cells are always dividing in the lower layers, pushing the older cells upwards to the surface, where the dead ones are being flaked off. In a sense, your epidermis is always being re-juvinated.
Thanks for that clear and concise answer! That's exactly what I wanted to know. :p

jedishrfu said:
This might best be explained via video:

of how a virus is absorbed into a cell and inserts itself into the cell mechanisms. think of cells are factories that make proteins that maintain the biological system and the virus coopts the factory ala hostile takeover and manufactures itself before the body can stop it.

Great video, it's becoming much clearer to me how this works. Thankyou for your time.

For the molecular-scale perspective, there are some great animations showing the inner workings of a cell at this site:
http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/
The "inner life" animation is the highlight there. It includes depictions of molecular structures in the cell, protein assembly and folding, and more.

This site:
http://www.ibiology.org/ibioseminars.html
contains a plethora of in-depth explanations of various biological processes. The cell biology section contains good follow-ups to the Inner life video. For example, I saw the animation of a kinesin motor protein literally walking along a microtubule, and thought "you've got to be kidding me". Then I found a video on "cytoskeletal motor proteins" on the ibiology site that nicely explained how the walking is achieved through chemical processes.

Last edited:
Likes Torbjorn_L
I remember that kinesin/mictotubule animation, and my reaction was the same.

One should note on the movies that they are more schematic (in all their current detail) rather than faithful:
- Molecular motors and engines are stochastic, since chemistry is, and they will tend to try to go backwards, hesitate, et cetera, often not shown since it would take time and blur the intent of the animations. It is among other things ratchet mechanisms that make these motors/engines unidirectional.

- Cells are dense chemical compartments, where molecules bump into each other at high rates and that can both delay and speed reactions (so transport and motor functions) compared to dilute chemistry in comparatively large glass containers as people do in chemistry classes. That too would drag out and obscure animations, so is never shown to my knowledge. (Maybe they could use some animation technique where obscuring molecules are transparent, but current art hasn't advanced that far.)

Both these deviations would also take computer resources and project time, so is a more fundamental problem as of yet. When computers get faster and larger (a constant plaint), then perhaps...

Related to How are atoms combined with the body?

1. How do atoms combine to form molecules?

Atoms combine to form molecules through chemical bonding, which can involve the sharing, donating, or receiving of electrons between atoms. This creates a stable arrangement of atoms known as a molecule.

2. How are atoms essential to the human body?

Atoms make up all of the molecules and compounds in the human body, such as DNA, proteins, and water. These molecules and compounds are vital for the functioning of cells, tissues, and organs.

3. Can atoms be broken down in the body?

Atoms cannot be broken down in the body as they are the smallest unit of matter. However, molecules and compounds made up of atoms can be broken down through chemical reactions and metabolic processes.

4. Are all atoms in the body the same?

No, there are different types of atoms in the body, known as elements. The most abundant elements in the human body are oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen. Each element has a unique number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, giving them different properties.

5. How do atoms contribute to the diversity of living organisms?

Atoms contribute to the diversity of living organisms through their ability to form different types of bonds and create a wide range of molecules and compounds. This allows for the vast array of proteins, enzymes, and other essential molecules that make up different living organisms.