How are different potentials implemented experimentally?

In summary, the Dirac-Delta, linear, and quadratic potentials are artificially created to help understand quantum mechanics and are commonly used in practical situations. They can be found in various books on quantum mechanics.
pcflores
Hi.

I'm wondering how different potentials, such as the Dirac-Delta potential, linear potential, quandratic potenial, etc., are implemented experimentally. I only understand how the Schrodinger equation is solved if these are the potentials and I'd like to have a better understanding of quantum physics by knowing how these are implemented experimentally.

Also, if you guys can suggest some papers or books that I can read, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They generally are not. These are simple potentials offered to get you used to using the schrodinger equation.

But note: the linear potential is what you get in a wire attached to a battery.

Likes Demystifier
As Simon says: these potentials are artificial. But extremely valuable nevertheless, because they can serve as useful approximations in countless practical cases. The quadratic potential for the harmonic oscillator is a first-order approach for almost any equilibrium situation (##F = -kx##) -- and as such will come back many times throughout any physicist's career. Delta functions mimic 'hard, small things', square wells help understand bound states, and so on.

Any book on QM goes through these potentials, your choice is almost unlimited.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the definition of potential in a scientific experiment?

Potential is a measure of the energy that can be transferred or converted in a system. It is typically used to describe the amount of energy that a particle or object has in relation to a reference point.

2. How are different potentials created in a laboratory setting?

Potentials can be created using a variety of methods such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and chemical reactions. These methods allow scientists to manipulate the energy of particles or objects in a controlled manner.

3. How do scientists measure potentials in an experiment?

Potentials can be measured using specialized instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, and electrometers. These instruments can detect and quantify the energy levels of particles or objects in an experiment.

4. What are some common applications of potentials in scientific research?

Potentials are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are essential for understanding and manipulating the behavior of particles, atoms, and molecules in various systems.

5. What challenges are associated with implementing different potentials in experiments?

Creating and controlling potentials in experiments can be technically challenging and require specialized equipment. Additionally, fluctuations in environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can affect the accuracy and reproducibility of experimental results.