How are diodes made? Practical methods explained!

• Thread starter new_mido22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes
In summary, diodes are commonly made using diffusion during the CMOS fabrication process. This involves creating p-type/n-type junctions to form the diodes. More advanced diodes may also use ion implantation to customize their doping profiles. There are many websites that describe this process in detail.
new_mido22
please I want to know how diodes are made practically
I searched for this in many seatch engines but I don't found any resukts that satisfies me
I hope u could help
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up any of the 7 million websites that describes CMOS (that is complementary metal oxide semiconductor) fabrication and it will show you how diodes are made. Every time you have a p-type/n-type junction you have a diode and cheap diodes are often made using diffusion. When they describe how the wells are diffused in the CMOS process they are describing diode fabrication.

Advanced diodes also make use of ion implantation to tailor their doping profiles (and therefore their responses).

carlgrace said:
Look up any of the 7 million websites that describes CMOS (that is complementary metal oxide semiconductor) fabrication and it will show you how diodes are made. Every time you have a p-type/n-type junction you have a diode and cheap diodes are often made using diffusion. When they describe how the wells are diffused in the CMOS process they are describing diode fabrication.

Advanced diodes also make use of ion implantation to tailor their doping profiles (and therefore their responses).
allright...I will search for this
thanks for reply

Related to How are diodes made? Practical methods explained!

1. How are diodes made?

Diodes are typically made through a process called semiconductor fabrication. This involves using specialized equipment to deposit different materials, such as silicon and germanium, onto a semiconductor wafer. The wafer is then etched and doped with impurities to create the desired electrical properties for the diode.

2. What materials are used to make diodes?

The most common materials used to make diodes are silicon and germanium. These materials have semiconductor properties, meaning they can conduct electricity under certain conditions. Other materials such as gallium arsenide and silicon carbide can also be used to make specialized diodes for specific applications.

3. How do they control the flow of electricity in diodes?

The flow of electricity in diodes is controlled by the doping process during semiconductor fabrication. Doping involves adding impurities to the semiconductor material, creating regions of excess electrons (n-type) or holes (p-type). When these regions are brought together in a diode, it creates a junction that allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the other.

4. Can diodes be made in different shapes and sizes?

Yes, diodes can be made in a variety of shapes and sizes depending on their intended use. The most common shape is a small, cylindrical component with two leads. However, diodes can also be made in surface mount packages, as well as larger packages for high power applications.

5. Are there different types of diodes and how are they made?

Yes, there are various types of diodes such as Zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). These diodes are made using the same basic fabrication process, but with variations in the doping and design to achieve different electrical properties. For example, Zener diodes are heavily doped to have a specific breakdown voltage, while LEDs are designed to emit light when current passes through them.